ka head on z 2.4 block

dat u racing

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a motor I wanted to put together. Rebello has done it many times from what I know and tells me the dohc head is way better to use than the sohc head but said both heads will allow good power to be made. I hear you have to use the ka piston and the head should bolt on pretty close or minor mods need to be done. reason people do this is some like to use the Z 24 block as it can bolt into a 510 chassis with no mods and does not sit at a tilt and can use a basic lseries dist. of course you need to figure if you are going to use sidedrafts or the fuel injection ]

The single cam will bolt on to the Z24 and fit the timing cover as well.

Don't know about the double. Here's a DE timing chain cover top:

MotorBuild029.jpg

And here's a Z timing cover top (bottom)

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/L%20Z%20Heads%20and%20Motors/LZtimingcovers001Large.jpg[/img]"]LZtimingcovers001Large.jpg

Not an exact fit like the E but close enough to make it work I think.

Need to ask... Is the DE from a car or truck?? If from a truck this would be best as it has the external oil pump/dizzy just like the L and Z series. Car DEs have an internal oil pump and the dizzy is driven off the side of the head so the pump/dizzy hole will need sealing.

Before I forget. There are two oil drain back holes at the rear of the KA block and head (correction:) one of these does not line up with the L and Z series motors. Slapping a KA head on a Z block will result in the oil draining down into a water passage in the Z block..... or the coolant bubbling up into the cam area under the valve cover. Easiest thing is to TIG the drain back hole in the DE head closed.

L20B oil drain back is in upper left hand corner of block:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/L%20Z%20Heads%20and%20Motors/motorL20Bcylinders-1.jpg[/img]"]motorL20Bcylinders-1.jpg

KA24 block oil drain back holes:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/L%20Z%20Heads%20and%20Motors/CA18ETenginetag001Large-1.jpg[/img]"]CA18ETenginetag001Large-1.jpg

So it looks like the KA drain back hole on the intake side (right) will conflict with the water jacket on the L (Z similar)

If running stock Z24 pistons the compression will be 9.26 with the smaller DE combustion chamber. (I think)

Edited by datzenmike

Yeah, I wasn't clear.

One of the KA head's oil drain holes is in conflict with the L or Z block water jacket. I fixed the pictures to show it. Took a picture of KA block and looked at the KA E head I have. Two oil drain back holes in the head/block.

Edited by datzenmike

I have also been looking into this.

The lower chain and guides looked like it could be a potential problem

area down the road,(lots of stress on the guides) also it's single row:(

I have a car motor here in the shop, as well as the front covers for both motors. my plan is to cut the top off the Z cover and splice on the top of the

DE cover, use L/Z type oil pump, dist. and drive

I'll be watching this thread;)