Cold Blooded Bitch?

atkinson40

Been noticing that it takes forever for this pony to warm up. If I try to put on the manual choke it kills the engine. I have to feather the throttle for 3-4 minutes or until I see some movement on the temp gauge before it will idle by itself. I can understand that maybe I need to set the cold idle adjustment on the carb but I'm confused about why putting on the choke when its cold would kill it? Only reason I can think of if its already running super rich. Any ideas?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When the choke is on, there is a linkage that sets the throttle on a stepped cam that holds it open and lets in more air. This will produce a fast idle. Without it, adding just choke will flood it and it will stall. Here's a picture of the plastic cam with steps on it:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720%20stuff/carbZ24fastidleadjustLg.jpg[/img]"]carbZ24fastidleadjustLg.jpg

When the choke is on, there is a linkage that sets the throttle on a stepped cam that holds it open and lets in more air. This will produce a fast idle. Without it, adding just choke will flood it and it will stall. Here's a picture of the plastic cam with steps on it:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/720%20stuff/carbZ24fastidleadjustLg.jpg[/img]"]carbZ24fastidleadjustLg.jpg

Thanks DM. My choke looks like it was originally electro/thermo but was gutted and fitted with a manual cable that comes in the cab. Your response would fit the solution for both problems. I'll check to see if the choke is setting up stepped cam. -K

A proper factory manual choke will have the same 'fast idle' linkage as an automatic. Sounds like somebody gutted it, not understanding how a choke works.

If you have an manual choke, engage fully to start. Push in a bit as soon as it starts. Then hold it partly engage and gradually open it fully as the engine warms up. As mike says it may not idle by itself when cold, if the fast idle cam & linkage is missing.

Also try stepping down on the gas then setting the choke before starting. The throttle has to be open at least slightly for the cam to move down into position and then the throttle closes down on one of the steps.

Otherwise as ggzilla says someone probably removed some parts or the linkage is just dirty and can't fall down of it's own weight. WD-40 or carb cleaner will clean it. Hold throttle open slightly and work linkage up and down to free it.

Also try stepping down on the gas then setting the choke before starting. The throttle has to be open at least slightly for the cam to move down into position and then the throttle closes down on one of the steps.

Otherwise as ggzilla says someone probably removed some parts or the linkage is just dirty and can't fall down of it's own weight. WD-40 or carb cleaner will clean it. Hold throttle open slightly and work linkage up and down to free it.

I removed the carb. Choke linkage looks to all be there and working?

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

Also even if I hold the throttle pedal down manually while applying the choke, it still kills the motor. -K

Yes. Just Like That. Its controlled manually with a cable to the inside of the cab. Then a linkage that's hooked to the same shaft as the choke valve sets up the cam for the fast idle. -K

i have been fighting with my manual choke for awhile now. my 73 is a cold blooded bitch as well untill she starts warming up. choke works fine on mine but i cant get teh choke to open again once its set. got some more adjusting to do i guess.

The Choke valve is in the same throat as the main valve. If the fast idle adjustment is meant to open the main to let in more air when the choke is set, how does the air get in? The main valve is below the choke valve. Seems the choke would block off all air and opening the main wouldn't let in more air. Is there a way that the secondary valve gets opened? -K

Like was mentioned before, the choke butterfly must be opened slightly when the engine starts. Use the manual choke knob and push it in slightly. Then the "main" butterfly will get enough air for a fast idle. That's how it works.

OK, I can fix that by setting the linkage to only close part way when I pull the knob in the cab all the way out. I'd adjusted it to close fully.

I put the carb back on. I wasn't able to adjust the Choke so that it only partially closed when I lulled the knob out all the way, but I can warm it up by only pulling it out part way as stated above. I've forgotten these old timers can be grumpy in the morning and need to be warmed up. I'm used to hoping in the civic and driving off. -k

OK brakes are next.

You should adjust it so it fully closes. Then, pump the gas once, take your foot off the gas, then turn the key. When it starts push the knob in a little.

Datsuns were designed to start up and drive right off. But somebody has messed with yours.

Edited by ggzilla
You should adjust it so it fully closes. Then, pump the gas once, take your foot off the gas, then turn the key. When it starts push the knob in a little.

Datsuns were designed to start up and drive right off. But somebody has messed with yours.

I have another problem that complicates the startup a bit. The fuel bowl is draining empty after sitting overnight so it takes a few cranks of the engine for it to fill up and start. Once started I need to hold the accelerator down a bit to keep it running. I'm going to monitor the startup for awhile and if it continues as it is I'll adjust the fast idle to keep it running while cold. Thanks kevin

Well it can't get back in the tank so it's either leaking out onto the manifold or into the intake. That's a lot of gas to collect in there if it is. It would start up SUPER rich.

Where ever its ending up, I think its evaporating. It takes cranking it about the time I expect the bowl to fill for it fire. -K

Edited by atkinson40
These Hitachis usually leak out of the jet plugs. Just tighten them up a little. They are just below the sight glass.

You have to remove the double-nut thingy, tighten them and then replace.

th_IMG_0679.jpg

Thanks ggzilla. I'll try it. It looks a bit wet around the nut I can see. Hope I can do it W/O pulling the carb again. -K

I also have choke problems. It seems like the two screws holding the plate to the rotating arm are severely worn out and wont tighten. This allows the choke to "wobble" and not properly seat against the walls. Is there any way to remedy this problem without buying a new carb? I might have to just slap on a weber and call it a day.