Thinking of buying this 210??

Hey guys, been a while :) Found another ratsun I'm interested in... Although it's not the 79 510 wagon I'd like to find, it's a 79 B210:

http://medford.craigslist.org/cto/1481974889.html

It's been on craigslist for a few weeks now, so I think I'll go take a look at it on Friday, and offer the guy $500 if the interior is nice. What are your thoughts? Things to look for on these?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, been a while :) Found another ratsun I'm interested in... Although it's not the 79 510 wagon I'd like to find, it's a 79 B210:

http://medford.craigslist.org/cto/1481974889.html

It's been on craigslist for a few weeks now, so I think I'll go take a look at it on Friday, and offer the guy $500 if the interior is nice. What are your thoughts? Things to look for on these?

your're luck i don't live close to were you are at. i would have bought it already. i have a z31 turbo 300zx just waiting to be swapped in sometthin.

The guy must not be in a hurry to sell it, called again, still no return call, and I even sent him an email with no reply... WTF?! He just "relisted" the ad again yesterday too! Super dumb... Unfortunately I'm working 2 jobs now, 6am-9pm total hrs, so I wont have a chance to look at it until next weekend now. Maybe it's just not meant to be?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally was able to get a hold of the guy. AND the asking price has been lowered to $500, but he willingly told me that "It smokes when it first starts because the first 2 cylinders have low compression from sitting"... That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, I may take a compression tester with me on friday. I really don't have time to do an engine swap or a rebuild right now either :( I may offer him $300.

In theory, He's going to send me pics of the interior today, I'll put them up on here if it's worth showing... The interior will be the deal breaker for me.

Finally was able to get a hold of the guy. AND the asking price has been lowered to $500, but he willingly told me that "It smokes when it first starts because the first 2 cylinders have low compression from sitting"... That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, I may take a compression tester with me on friday. I really don't have time to do an engine swap or a rebuild right now either :( I may offer him $300.

In theory, He's going to send me pics of the interior today, I'll put them up on here if it's worth showing... The interior will be the deal breaker for me.

are you expecting to get a decent running car for 300? he already told you it smokes. if you buy it, assume that you will have to at least do a mild rebuild. it's cheap to rebuild an a14 or a15.

When he started advertizing the car from 500-900 dollars he never mantioned it smoked, or "low compression". It's almost as he's implying that while it sat for 2 months because no one wanted to pay 500+ dollars for it, the engine lost compression.

The engine can be over come in time, I just want nice interior and body. He keeps dropping the price so thats ok with me; I still can't make it out there till Friday like I told him. Guy doesnt seem to be a very motivated seller, I've asked him for pics of the interior twice. He seems like kind of a dick too...

Edited by RacnJsn95
what happen to your 4x4 620?

It's sitting at my Dad's house. No room at my place for something else that doesn't run. :( Swapped in a running engine, just gotta find time to put on the intake, exhaust, and alternator, and hopefully its ready to run again.

• 7 months later...

...he willingly told me that "It smokes when it first starts because the first 2 cylinders have low compression from sitting"...

More likely it's leaking at the valve guide seals. Mine does that ever since I got an oil change at Jiffy Lube. Most oil change places will want to put 4 quarts of oil in it, and that extra 1/2 quart will push through the valve guides. The first time it happened to me, it looked like I was being tailgated by a thundercloud.

Now, I make sure to put in the correct 3.5 quarts, but the longer the car sits the more oil drips into the cylinders. It makes it harder to start because 10W-30 has a lousy octane rating. Regardless, the car ALWAYS starts.

P.S.: Jiffy Lube is the reason I started changing my own oil, and learning to do my own work. I swear, their staff must be high school kids working part time, or they're dropouts.:angry:

did you dig up this old post to bad mouth jiffy lube? well played.

Mostly, I'm bad at looking at dates and good at dispensing unsolicited information.:P

Most of the other oil change places were almost as bad, and wanted to argue with the factory manual about how much oil to put in my engine.