what is a good clutch to get for a built l 20

bigjoe619

Hey fellas, i need some help here i barely got my 510 running, and i put it on the road for the first time saturday. i took it out last nite in chula vista and 2 mustang (89-92) 5.0 ran up on me revin their motors so not knowing what my dime can do i raced them one at a time for about 2 to 3 blocks a piece to their suprise i was on their rear quarter panel, but i got them out of the hole but all in all i guess i burnt my clutch when i hit the freeway it was hard to shift. then when i got home the clutch just felt like it needed adjusting so today i adjusted it, and tried it and t felt like it was adjusted too much. i adjusted it back and i heard a pop and now the car dont move and i can shift through all the gears with out the clutch pedal down and the car doesnt go anywhere. whats a good clutch to get?:(:confused:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

depends on what flywheel you have.

if you have a car one its a 200mm and get a roadster pressure plate. all elese is the same.

if the l20 came from a truck they have a 225mm flywheels.

I can only guess what you have in the car. if you need a 225mm u would order a datsun 620 clutch but they are of stock pressure so not really bettrer than what you have.

so really need to know the size as who knows how many people owned this car and whts in there.

Iff you have a 225mm you can get a Z car clutch but Im not positive what T/O bearing and sleeve you use on that set up.

YOu ck to see if the slave cyinder is pushing the clutch arm????

the slave cylender moves the fork. but i can have the car on and it shits through the gears without the clutch in i adjusted it both ways and nuthing happens. the motor has been sittin for a while but has around 400 miles on it but i though scence it was sittin with the motor and not tranny hooked up the clutch probably got brittle. when i ran the shit out of it bangin gears it brobably broke but why does the clutch still have pressure , when i mash the pedal, and even with the pedal released the clutch is ingaged? if the fork was broke or off the little ball wouldnt it not let the car go in gear when it was on?

if the fork was broke or off the little ball wouldnt it not let the car go in gear when it was on?

Correct!!!!!!

does the clutchfork look like its fully FWD? or is it maybe in a stuck half throw and then you adjusted it for that position.. I heard of the T/O bearing getinng stuck in the FWD position where it catches a edge/clutch arm spring but never actually seen this happen.

maybe loosen the slave cylinder or remove and and Wack the clutch fork fully FWD.

maybe the pressure plate was never tighten to the flywheel?

maybe the T/O bearing is STUCK in the fully in position? hard to believe .

Maybe somebody else can chime in on this

Best bet is to pull the trans to check physically. if you have pressure and no leaks and see the slave move sounds like maybe the pressure plate collapsed or broke or something is making it simulate like it is depressed letting you change gears with the car on.

• 2 weeks later...