No juice to wiper wiring

goatee

Heya all I picked up a few spare wiper motors awhile back from the realm so now I have a good motor. Unfortunately there is no juice to the wiring where it plugs in. I have a wiring diagram and I don't see any relays to check but I also suck with wiring diagrams. :D Can the switch itself go bad? I thought I'd post up to ask for thoughts before I started tearing things apart. Using some wires straight from the battery I got the motor parked and my wipers installed correctly so far.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

go to the fuse box(where it says WIPER. and see if power on one side of the terminals. or replace the fuse anyways, or wiggle it.

maybe a wire broke on the back side. I have seen wires break off the terminnals from behind. I clean them and get soem MA flux and route a new wire to the terminal.

I have never seen a switch go bad myself in the 20years of owning 4 510s and a 521

Ok cool thakns Hainz. Looks like my block has gone without a cover for quite awhile so it needs cleaned anyway. I have an electronics buddy who is hopefully going to help me sort this and give me some more lessons.

Thanks for the tip on the back side I'll be sure we check.

I was just glad one of the 3 motors I bought worked and actually two of them did. The other one just jerks once when you hit it with power so I suppose it might work after some cleaning.

I know the stock wiper motor is considered slow but it will be light years faster than NOTHING. :D

Coincidence... I just came in from working on my 510's wiper wiring.

First, check for a good ground. There is a metal clip that wraps around the wiring at the motor and a screw holds it to the motor. That clip connects directly to the ground wire (black) from the switch and is the actual ground for the wiper motor. I've seen dimers paint the motor and loose the ground at that screw. Make sure it is good!

Second, pull the wiper motor switch on high. Disconnect the connectors at the wiper motor. Turn your ignition key to ACC or ON. You should have full battery voltage on one pin (blue with red stripe). Test with your volt/ohm meter. Any less than 9.6v at the motor probably won't start. Clean the contacts on both connectors and reconnect if you have sufficient voltage.

Unlike Hainz, I have had a bad wiper switch. It wasn't all of my problem tonight though. However, I took it out, disassembled, and cleaned it thoroughly just in case. They were assembled originally with some grease to make the little ball bearing that creates the detents moving smoothly. After 37 years of the switch moving and laying on its side, that grease was all over everything. A good cleanup and reassembly and I have much better contact action.

Hope this helps.

I bought some fuses and headed for my buddies house. We got out his meter (missing a cord for mine) and quickly found that one fuse that looked fine wasn't. Swapped that out, cleaned things up a bit and followed the wiring diagram and plugged all the wiring back into the plastic cap. We got a couple backwards and the motor ran when off instead of on lol. Another fuse later and we noticed if you clean the wiper motor a little better the wiring matches on the other side of the plug. Switched a couple around and VIOLA, slow and slower wipers! Still like I said blazingly fast compare to no wipers. :D

Unfortunately on the way to his house I developed a heck of a vibration under load which I'm hoping like heck is u joints and not rear end. So my next set of posts will surely be about that. I'm checking it out after work and he had to give me a ride home.