Z'd frame. Fabricators opinion needed.

I really would like to get a couple of opinions before I go digging into this.

Instead of the normal "mini-truck" C notch I was thinking I would go old school and z the frame just behind the cab 3".

The math on this is a little off. I would have 5/8" left of the fame instead of 3/8" to make it a 3" instead of 3 1/4".

100_0985.jpg

I would build a gusset plate after everything is welded together.

I understand that my measurements would have to be spot on and the welds impeccable for this to work.

Tell me what you think.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Id keep it simple depending on what size rims you plan on running. A "C" notch will allow you to lay frame with the stock rims. Or a mini step notch would be more than enough w/ 14 inch rims. With your Z-ing idea youd simply raise the back half of the frame & weld it back in place with the appropriate gussets ?

This is a pretty common setup in the bagged truck world, Madness. Most guys that build custom balk halfs do it this way. I allows you more room to mount the tanks and compressors in the back without them being close to the ground. It also makes raising the bed floor a lot easier.

Nothing wrong with your plan, little more work then notching, but will work very well. It's a good idea to insert plates inside the frame between the 2 halves and plug weld them in before you put your boat plate on top.

Years ago, for my Senior Project in high school, my brother and I Z'd a 620 5.5". We just kind of decided to go that route because it's easy, it's common, and because it would totally work. He's been around the mini truck business for years and years, working at Fender Bender Intl, so if he said it's legit, I follow it.

I say go for it.