Distributor for a 4 plug Napsz?

well, I am screwed at the moment. the vacuum advance on my NAPS-Z20S is toast...and a new one with my discount is about 50 bucks and a week or more away. a reman'd distributor with a new vacuum advance is around $100...none of the local wrecking yards are showing anything in the right year range in their yards.

the parts for this stupid engine have been hard to find and expensive...and all the vacuum advances or distributors that could fit it are very expensive...so, is there a aftermarket electronic ignition system available for these? at least i would be able to get parts more readily.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Z20S

The Z20S is a 2.0 L (1952 cc) engine produced from 1979 through 1981. It was produced in 2-bolt and 3-bolt versions. It produces 88 hp (66 kW).

Applications:

Datsun Stanza

Datsun Truck

The Z20S (S denotes carbureted) was available in the USA until 1984 (720 pickup) at which time it had a 85 mm (3.3 in) x 86 mm stroke and a 9.4:1 compression ratio. Factory manual did not state HP. Source: 1984 Nissan Truck Factory Service Manual Model 720 Section EM page 38 Publication No. SM4E-0720U0 Sept 1983

update:

there are no nissans in the wrecking yards nearby with the distributor parts I need. the vacuum advances that are all similar to the one i pulled out cost $50+ and at each parts store are a week or more away. a new distributor is only $50 more then the valve alone.

my only question at this point is if any aftermarket companies make a distributor/ignition system that will bolt in there so that parts will be easier to find next time.

p.s. for like 8 or so years it seems nissan used the the same type of vacuum advance diaphragm in z20s, z22's,and z24s...most will fit, but again, nothing local used to be had, and they call cost about the same from a parts store.

Z20S

The Z20S is a 2.0 L (1952 cc) engine produced from 1979 through 1981. It was produced in 2-bolt and 3-bolt versions. It produces 88 hp (66 kW).

Applications:

Datsun Stanza

Datsun Truck

The Z20S (S denotes carbureted) was available in the USA until 1984 (720 pickup) at which time it had a 85 mm (3.3 in) x 86 mm stroke and a 9.4:1 compression ratio. Factory manual did not state HP. Source: 1984 Nissan Truck Factory Service Manual Model 720 Section EM page 38 Publication No. SM4E-0720U0 Sept 1983

Doug, my info says the only Z20S was only available from '82.5 on till the 720 finished in '86.5. I found a quote of 97hp.

Mike, that info is incorrect on the Z20S. Typo. 9.7 hp. At least that's what mine felt like, after the rebuild. :D

Spades: Where are you in the Great Northwest? If you're at all close to Spokane, there's plenty of pickings that would probably work over here. Or yank a whole drive spindle and dist unit from an L20 and just use that, make it a 4 plug.

im 1 hour south of portland...

I ended up ordering a reman'd distributor for 100 bucks from CSK...the more I tore into the distributor the more I realised how old and hashed it was...so, the new distributor(with a new vacuum advance) will show up on tuesday.

my wagon is getting very close to being done...its about time to toss up some new pictures!

not sure how much "oomph" the naps z20 will have after I am done with it...so far I have just added fuel and ignition modifications...

either way, in another month or so I will be buying a naps Z24 from my boss...it has been rebuilt and has forged pistons, a cam, ported/polished and shaved head, a header, and a bunch of other goodies. he had the motor rebuilt with brand new parts, and was going to stick it in his roadster, but decided to go with a CA18DET instead. so, I have a shot at buying it.

so, if the napsz20s doesnt have enough kick, I can decide if I want to boost the z24 motor I will be buying in a month or so.

heheheeh, well, actually, i have a pair of SU carburators that I will be building a manifold for...depending on how fast or slow the z20s is...if the wagon is a slug with it, i will build my weber 32/36 for blow through, and will start scavenging parts for boosting the z24...

if its reasonably fast, i will build a intake manifold for the SU and continue to focus on N/A for the z24.

• 3 weeks later...