Timing belt question

SRSANDS

Put a new belt on my VG30 before it eventually goes in the hole. I got the motor at TDC put a new water pump, cam shaft seals, and timing belt. The timing belt new had thre marks on it, one for each postion on each pulley. After everything lined up ad belt was tightend I rotated the crank two full rotations, watching the pistons come up at 123456 order back to the same alignment. Evrything seems to be fine ut the new belts white lines no longer line up.......are they only for initial install? Do the marks on the belty line up only at a certain number of rotations due to the pulleys sizes and or teeth count................???? Let me know

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not familiar with the VG engine, but I do know a little about the L series engine. On the L-series engine, the left side of the cam chain is a straight line, and the right side curves around the guide, and the tensioner. So the left side of the chain is longer. Turning the engine after the cam chain is installed, the two bright links no longer match the marks on either sprocket, but the same number of links links is between them, so the cam stays in time.