Project Sic Sic 620

Hey everybody, I've been here for a few years almost, just lurking in the shadows, while my 1975 620 has been sitting in my garage just waiting to become one sexy(er) beast. I've been a student and time and money has been very very limited, but my imagination has never been.

I kinda jumped headfirst into tearing her apart and got stalled when I went back to school. But now the real work is finally beginning thanks to a very coincidental sale on craigslist of various S10 parts I had collected.

I was going to front clip the 620 so I could stuff a 4.3 in there and gain a better 'airbaggable' front suspension. When I started this, ratsun.net wasn't around, and if it was, hours and hours of googling never turned it up. The wealth of information that's on here now just wasn't around so in typical minitrucker fashion I tried to do it my own way.

Unfortunately, but in hindsight, fortunately I ran out of money to get a fabricator to actually do the work so the truck sat. We are moving and I wouldnt have space for all the extras so they went up on CL. The Datsun Gods, bless them, sent me the former owner of THE minitruck shop in my town, and put the Datsun curse on him as soon as he saw my truck. We worked out a killer deal and the Datsun project has been revitalized.:D

Keep watching this thread, this truck will move quickly towards total awesomeness.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres some pictures of how the truck has more or less sat for the past 4 years and the move.

IMG_0014.jpg

Sitting on jackstands, missing front drivers suspension, and all the parts loaded in the bed. Just put the parts in, they had been stashed around the garage.

IMG_0012.jpg

The L20b, and the dusty windshield. Sounds like the title of a tragedy to me.

IMG_0033.jpg

Loaded up onto the flat deck to be hauled to the fabricators.

Gotta run for now. You can check my photobucket for more pix and my YouTube

for vids of unloading it and a quick walkaround.

The plans for it right now are pretty much endless :rolleyes:

It's going to be bagged... and body-dropped... on 20's, most likely Titans :D.

Shaved...well, everything. Perhaps waxed is a better description?:lol:

Custom LED Interior... and exterior (www.custom-effects.com <<< - the company I work for :D I have BIG plans for this)

Carputer control everything

L20b thats already in it, will be tuned up. Megasquirt EFI

I'm not denying that all of this will take a LONG time, but I'm basically building myself a school project/portfolio/resume/business card :blink:

The truck will be driveable before too long, the rest will follow.

It's going to be bagged... and body-dropped... on 20's, most likely Titans

hey dude titans are 18's

and not sure how you guys measure wheels but you won't be able to body it to the pitch if you have 20's

and the camber you would have to add to the control arms would be crazy

and most like would be tonching your engine

i accauly tryed to do this my self before i know what i was doing check out my build

or add me on msn sharks_96@hotmail.com i can measure and cleanace or any thing for you i have done a 85 mm bodydrop

hey dude... Titans now come with 20's also.:lol:

but perhaps the Titans wouldn't fit? I'm not stuck on it, but I'd like to keep it in the spirit of Ratsun y'know. I'm also not trying to copy anybody's truck either. FWD wheels aren't out of the question, fit better and you can get still them with a fair bit of lip too, which is kinda what I'm after.

lowpro tires, lots of trimming and custom suspension, exhaust, etc.

where are you thinking would be a clearance issue, besides the bed roll? initial measurements suggest we could clear without cutting the exterior body work

I've seen your build before, but you aren't finished...:D it'll be a sick truck for sure man, but luckily i've got a VERY dedicated builder on my side, he's cranked a few projects and many small jobs through in the few weeks I've known him, but he does very good work at the same time, knows his shit. And like I said about getting the Datsun curse... we were at the wrecker, who has a 1600 Roadster, that they are trying to do an S2000 motor swap on, kinda back-burner project they have hauled out for a bit more work, and he got all crazy over it. We also found a mint, and I mean mint 521 parked there. We asked about getting it and he wouldn't even give us a price. Apparently you turn the key and away you go. My builder has also had a 620 and a 521 before.

Anything that's not exterior sheet metal or engine or tranny is pretty much fair game at this point. If anyone knows a reason why it CAN'T be done, speak now or forever hold your peace :)

Hey guys, messed with my photobucket a bit, so here's more moving day pix:

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

And here's some new one's, welding up the step notch:

IMG_0054-1.jpg

Cutting out the rear shock crossmember.

IMG_0077.jpg

Crossmember out of the truck.

IMG_0059.jpg

Welding in notch.

IMG_0081-1.jpg

Notches finished up. (Can you see whats wrong with this picture? It took us way too long to notice, but we got lucky. Why sometimes a good sleep is a better idea than working late.)

Update for today:

Been pretty sick the past couple days so haven't worked on the truck but have the HB parts for the disc/balljoint conversion from the wreckers. Just waiting on Beebanis arms and brackets, probably taking their sweet time at customs. Found a set of 20" Titans locally, hoping to pick up this weekend.

Anybody know if lowered HB lower control arms would work any better for a 620 than the stock HB units? We have a set just laying around, so we're gonna try setting it up with those first. Hopefully have all the pieces in our possession this week and mocked up by Saturday night.

your old PB pics links died. Just so you know.

i know, I re-organized my photobucket, was going to edit the original post but was too late. The last pics post is pretty much the same pics of moving day, though prettier, edited versions.

Edited by lowdatsun620
The frame pix look good, Word of advice, if you plan on 3 or 4 linking the rear suspension set up all your bars with the leaf springs IN PLACE. That way the axle lines up perfect. I did'nt & it took way too long to line it all up.

Thx for the tip PCD, it'll be 4-linked with a "cantilever" lift. I use quotes because its always disputed what classifies as a true cantilever, but I'm going with the generally accepted terminology, a centrally-pivoted bar with the bag pushing on one end and the other end pushing the axle down.

If anyone knows where to find any pix of some wicked cantilever set-ups, post em up here, lookin for ideas. Have some rough ideas but I know it's gonna look MEAN!!! (anybody caught the wordplay in the project name?)

got the delivery slip for Beebani's arms and rear disc brackets today, going to pick them up tomorrow :lol:

everything is going as planned :D

gonna talk to my builder tonight, see if we can get some work done... oh shit, he's calling right now... ... ...probably not tonight, he's busy.

Tomorrow night, gonna go sort out a few loose ends on his other projects and pick up my new parts.

Then Saturday, pickin up the 20's in the AM hopefully.

And the rest of the weekend is mockup city!!!! Oh shit yeah!

Oh yeah, he's got a line on some 245/30R20 front rubber and slightly taller rears for $200, over half tread left... if they wont work, he can use them anyways so thats a sweet deal and at least we can see where that whole setup gets us to.

Edited by lowdatsun620
Thx for the tip PCD, it'll be 4-linked with a "cantilever" lift. I use quotes because its always disputed what classifies as a true cantilever, but I'm going with the generally accepted terminology, a centrally-pivoted bar with the bag pushing on one end and the other end pushing the axle down.

If anyone knows where to find any pix of some wicked cantilever set-ups, post em up here, lookin for ideas. Have some rough ideas but I know it's gonna look MEAN!!! (anybody caught the wordplay in the project name?)

This only works if your sprung height is the same as your desired ride height. If not, you need to remove the leafs and set it at the height your going to drive the truck. Then you can set your lower bars paralell to the ground, with your uppers pointed slightly toward the ground to make the instant center around the trucks front bumper.

This only works if your sprung height is the same as your desired ride height. If not, you need to remove the leafs and set it at the height your going to drive the truck. Then you can set your lower bars paralell to the ground, with your uppers pointed slightly toward the ground to make the instant center around the trucks front bumper.

good point AiredOut, (your truck is SICK btw). I was planning on removing it anyways, just acknowledging PCD`s advice, might come in handy one day.

THIS truck however is going to get a full back-half job, just makes sense for planned mods. Had talked about it before, got eager to work on truck NOW so settled for notches.

Once the notches were in, my fabricator and I pretty much finished each others sentence and decided to balk half the 620.

Those notches won`t go to waste though I have plans for them :lol: