How to convert a speedo cog for a KA transmission

AtomChurch

All I had was a stock 4 speed speedo cog from a datsun 620 transmission.

So I popped it out and took it to my KA 5 speed and pushed it in. It fit. The only downfall was that the retaining clip was on the wrong side.

With the cog in the transmission I took a hacksaw and cut a groove in it the same size as the retaining clip in the correct spot for the clip.

DSC06637.jpg

There is now two grooves.

DSC06636.jpg

this is it in and bolted up

Pix039.jpg

This is the gear turning inside.

th_Flix000.jpg

Now you can run your stock 510 speedo from your longer speedo cable with your KA24 transmission.

[i did not use any magazine or any other reference to complete this mod. I simply had an idea and proceeded to follow it to completion. If you feel I owe you an apology or credit, I'm sorry, thats too bad.]

Edited by AtomChurch
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am excited, it means I don't have to source a speed cog. haha. I can just go grab another one with a different numebr of teeth to try and get my speedo to be correct. Way more simple then hunting them down. All though this one might be right I don't know yet.

• 2 weeks later...
A 75-79 cog won't work in an '80 and up tranny. This one was modified with a cut off saw:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/pre80pinionint0post80ransmods001.jpg[/img]"]pre80pinionint0post80ransmods001.jpg

Same thing.

I used a cog from a 73 620.

what wouldn't work? The cog wouldn't go into the hole on the KA tranny?

I put the cog in and spun it until it slipped in then I marked it and cut it.

forgot to ask you about this at the meet..... why the other slot for the key? the gear only go in one way? cant 180 it?
They have different teeth counts depending on the application, therefore different diameters, and therefore must be offset different amounts in order to mesh correctly. Because of the offset they should really only go in one specific way.
I used a cog from a 73 620.

Yeah the '73 F4W71B tranny like yours should work too. The earlier F4W63 cog is too long I think.

I put the cog in and spun it until it slipped in then I marked it and cut it.

That's so ratsun! Way to go.

Yeah the '73 F4W71B tranny like yours should work too. The earlier F4W63 cog is too long I think.

That's so ratsun! Way to go.

haha and thanks!^^

It would be nice if I could get all of the different kinds before I do a write up! haha. shouldn't you be able to use it still even if its too long? I mean you are cutting a new retaining clip slot anyways?

• 2 weeks later...