swapping stock 521 rear end for toyota tacoma?

ssdjoey

ok i was at the junkyard today because as most of the cali guys know ITS 50 PERCENT OFF WEEKEND well there were shitloads of people there and in front of me i see a tacoma with the rear end floating and got me thinking it doesnt seem to hard to swap but is the tacoma a lot wider? reason for wanting to swap is because there are slim to no rim choices in the 14-15in wheel size,so has anyone done it? if so write up?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything can "work"...period. :rolleyes:

This swap is a really bad idea though. There ARE some that might just about bolt in...the Tacoma rear is NOT one of them.

Spring pad spacing (and type...since many newer rigs have gone to coil spring rear suspension), driveshaft flange issues, overall width, brake line type and location, emergency brake actuation style and location and gear ratio are all things that need to be factored in...way more than just the wheel bolt pattern.

Best to you with all your projects man.:cool:

From Seth Bomar:

Axle width:

73-78 ~ 53"

79-83 ~ 55"

84-88 ~ 57"

89-95 ~ 58.5"

95-04 ~ 60"

I am going to use a 1987 Ford Ranger 7.5" in my 620. One axle shaft is 1.5" shorter than the other. So I only have to narrow one side of it to get it the width of my Datsun axle. There is also more aftermarket support for the 7.5" rear than the toyota 2wd. A really great rear end is the ford 8.8" out of an explorer, but no doubt that would have to be narrowed, but 31 spline posi in either 3.73 or 4.11 and disc brakes after 1994 kicks ass.

Get a ford courier rear end. They came in 411 posi and 376 lsd. 5 lug ford car partern to boot.

Ford wheel bolt pattern reference needs to be double checked man...

COURIER PICKUP 1977-1984 Rims size:14x6 Bolt pattern: 6x139.7

This is the same old 6 lug that we have grown to know and love.

86859020.jpg

And here is an 86 Courier as well...

868590pic9.jpg

Edited by denveratsun