"engine swap help"I know its been asked, newbe

skunk

i know its been asked im sorry for asking again iv been trying to use the search i really have, iv found a bit of info just not enof.

i just got a 73 620 and id really like to start woring on a engine for it.its so slow.:(

not 100% on what engine i want tho:confused:

I want power, not going to race it around but i want it to go when i hit the gas.

also would still like to get 20+mpg

i dont mind a bit of mods to get the engine in, but i rather not have to do a bunch of mods to the engine just to give it some go. id like to mod the engine in time just not right away.

most iv seen talked about is the l20b and the ka24de. (if theres other fair swaps pleaze point me to some info)

both i have no idea what years of the engine/tran i would need to start looking for, or if i need alt heads what ever .if some one could even just point me to a good forum post i would be very thankfull.:D

part of me tells me to stick with a carb engine, :oslap me if im wrong it sounds like the l20b is a slow engine unless you put some real work into it.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From another newbie, who has been researching this very subject>>>

You have lots of options.

It all depends on the level of time and money you wanna put in.

the 620 is rear drive so you could put in a Chevy small block if you felt like re-fabricating the entire engine compartment.

But you seem to want to stay relatively close to the 'bolt-in' kind of swap. That leaves you with several options and near options.

I'm guessing you haev an l16 or l18 or form your year model( I don't know exacts dates either!!) So I am gonna go out on a limb and say you could possibly bolt in a l20b. They arent a great leap above the earlier L's but the do have more displacement. But I don't think L's are very 'mod-able'.

other Nissan truck engines inclube the Z and the Ka.

The Z doesnt seem to be a great improvement over the L. It may have more torque, but it doesnt seem to have enough to justify a swap. I myself can get a Z for way cheap, I just don't know if its worth it or not. A plus is, however, the earlier ones are carb.

The Ka is what I think is the most bang for your buck. Plentiful ( as far as imports go, at least ) and has significant hp and torque over L's. The only downside is they are EFI, so you are going to need a proficieny in engine wiring, and some fabrication to the mount. Ka's are also very mod-able.

And is money is no object, you could always order a sr20det from Japan and slap it in there.

I've been working very hard over the past few months to come up with parts/products to make the ka24 swap a breeze. It really is the best/cheapest alternative to wasting money on pumping up the L motor.

I have motor mounts and a tranny xmember that make it a drop in affair. The wiring harness is a breeze also. You'll have to find a good fuel pump for fuel injection, and an electric fan, and that's about it.

I did my whole swap for about $700 including the cost of the motor/trans.

I am looking for a truck body to swap my i think zz2.2 from a 81 720 into. It seems to have more power than the zz2.4 from my 84. I would really like a 620 to put it in but would settle for a good 720. Just don't know what i need to do to put it in a 620. It does seem to have more power than the L series motors that i have driven. As far as i know the only thing done to it is a weber added.

The L18 and Z20 carry the same HP but the Z has about 20ft lbs torque more. If you go to the Z24, it has 4 HP more but close to 50ft Lbs more torque. The KA really is the best way to go and the price is comparable to the Z24 swap. You will get more than the milage you're looking for.

Advantages:

Z24s are cheap/plentiful easy to trouble shoot and work on. They are a truck only motor so have good bottom end pull or torque at low RPMs to pull weight. I have a Z24 in my 620 and they drop in on their m/ms.About the same torque as the KA24E but in sooner and running out of steam sooner too. A Z24 variant was used in the D-21 Hardbody (Z24i) with throttle body EFI. No improvement but in running and economy. Any Z series 5 spd from a truck or '80-'83 200sx will work. The FS5W71C from the KA24 will also bolt up to the Z24.

Dis:

Lacks power by to-days standards.

Advantages:

KA24E are also cheap and available with tranny attached and makes GOOD hp. Lots of aftermarket support and turbo KAs are well documented.

Dis:

However it needs the EFI wiring in order to run it in the 620 so a lot more work to swap over. If using the 240sx KA you will need a truck oil pan and pick up tube. Use the 240sx ECU wire harness as it is separate from the main body harness... the D-21 truck harness is NOT and a nightmare to work with. More work to swap, more complicated but more power.

Thanks for the info! I am planning on buying a z24 and swapping out my z22. The warranty is a lot better and the work seems do-able for a first timer. I will probably be on here later with questions as I work through it. Thanks so far!