My NEW car is a 1990 Camry

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

high nox while everything else is low means its to lean ive delt with the california smog nazis for 5 years i have learned how to tune my car by the readings the tercel is still carberated right i think in 85 it still was not sure

Edited by bonvo

EGR valves are available from rockauto, etc.

Plastics take abuse up to a point, and return to form up to a point whereas metal would bend and need to be reworked. After that point, yes, plastics break or malform and can't be worked back as well as metal. Agreed about the dumbing down of a lot of things, but have you spoken with anyone under 30 or 40 years old these days? Bunch of can't spell, can't speak, can't read, can't write, can't learn a damn thing on their own morons.

Our society is insanely focused on image, which is reflected in how it buys cars. Sure, I could afford to make payments on a new car, but screw that - my car is fine and I don't have to concern myself with it depreciating in value (it's already about as low as it can get :D). The auto industry is unsustainable as it is, and I think it's totally retarded that any of it got "bailed out".

Thanks for the Rock Auto tip. I saw them but it is good to see somebody on the Forum mention them.

I agree about the loss of literacy, but I also see a lot of really bright kids out there. It's a complex picture. More later- bedtime for Watsonius :)

ps and the best people I have ever met were not highly educated

Edited by watsonius

Today mechanic guy #2 determined that the pintle is irretrievably stuck/broken. #2 allowed as how I should find a replacement, meaning he wasn't much inclined to do so, aside from calling a local dealer.

I actually have a job and my boss isn't paying me to shop online for car parts so I called my regular guy (aka#1) and in 20 minutes he found a dealership in Kansas with the part in stock, matched to my VIN (so it is the right one presumably). That was my concern- buying online and getting something that was the wrong part. As Mike has observed, we are "non-car people".

New valve and vehicle to be joined later this week, hopefully.

#1 gets a big reward (an hours fee and a good write-up on Daviswiki) for service above and beyond the call of duty.

Thanks again to those who offered help and advice. Now we can get back to discussing why the world thinks we are weird to drive old cars and why we think the rest of the world is wrong (or something...) :)