Turbo L-6 is finally gone

nismopu

I finally sold off my built turbo L-6 tonight and I can finally begin a new chapter in my Z's life!

Now lately I have been really torn as to which engine to replace it with. I have been thinking of going outside the nissan family and maybe running a 2jz but I also have a vh45 that I wanna do something with. What do you guys think?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you want to use it for? My biggest problem with the 2J is how much it weighs. Either engine is a little heavier than the Z motor but it really depends on what kind of powerband you like. Both motors completely stock are pretty well matched, I believe.

Of course you will always have more aftermarket support with the 'yoda motor and whenever people see it they'll not recognize it unless there's a 2-300mm turbo slapped on the side... (hyperbole intended)

The VH motor has that DOHC 32 valve V8 aura about it and even amongst the big high-perf VH forums, its true potential is still kind of a mystery. Putting the motor in wouldn't be a problem, maybe a bit more work since you'd have to use an adaptor.

Either motor would make for a seriously quick Z car without trying too much.

...Ever thought of a Mercedes Stroker motor? :lol: Just playin'.

I vote 2jz if those are your options. There is much stronger after market support and a higher performance ceiling. Plus a bolt up 6 speed to boot.

If it was to be a vge like suggested I'd do it right and do a vg35et lol

For the going price of that 6 speed, that only has one OD, you could build a very mean little VH or LS.

I didn't list the options I just picked from them lol. Me personally, if paying over 2.5k on just drive train no other engine would even be considered besides the lsx and 6 speed.

Not quite a V8 Scarab, but probably not a plain Dung Beetle either.

The Scarab IS a dung beetle lol. Sits too far forward and high, the JTR kit is the good one. Just saying....

I love the way my scarab handles, has just the right feel to it and I can use long tube headers! But my pan already hangs below the cross member, i could imagine having it lower.

I can understand personal preference. The JTR is superior though.

I'm not arguing it with you, it sits further back and lower, the answer is obvious. Post on hbz that the scarab is better if you want to debate and see how the people that have been doing it time and time again for the last 30 years feel.

Edited by 72240z
I'm not arguing it with you, it sits further back and lower, the answer is obvious. Post on hbz that the scarab is better if you want to debate and see how the people that have been doing it time and time again for the last 30 years feel.

I'm saying either is better, but setting it back and lower isnt always a guaranteed advantage, as extra weight in the rear, in an over powered car, would cause massive over steer issues. (IMHO its all preference using jtr vs. scarab)

kyle: i'd really like to see you do something with that vh45.. im sure you could make an adatper plate an shave the bell housing to make it fit the z32 trans like the other guys are doing.. that would be a very interesting project. plus you would be keeping it in the nissan family :)

heres a little inspiration

It's been don't so many times Idk how interesting it is anymore. In a 620 on the other hand :-).

I feel it's the same way with the RB, SBC, SBF, JZ, SR, and LSx. I'm guessing 98% of engine swaps are one of these six, the majority of them now being LSx, and RB. Yep, even the ol' standby SBC I feel is starting to not be enough by anyone who isn't on a shoestring budget.

Someone needs to dump the VK56 in it with some JWT cams...

With the hysterically rev happy nature of the 'yoda UZ engines, one of them in an S30 would be sweet.

No wait... a UZ in a dime. Yes.

I feel it's the same way with the RB, SBC, SBF, JZ, SR, and LSx. I'm guessing 98% of engine swaps are one of these six, the majority of them now being LSx, and RB. Yep, even the ol' standby SBC I feel is starting to not be enough by anyone who isn't on a shoestring budget.

Someone needs to dump the VK56 in it with some JWT cams...

With the hysterically rev happy nature of the 'yoda UZ engines, one of them in an S30 would be sweet.

No wait... a UZ in a dime. Yes.

I agree

You'd think for the price and having to adapt anyway there would be more vk56's.

I'm not knocking any of the engine choices, just saying to me interesting is not so cookie cutter.

What I really want is to see some jag I6's in there. Wish someone would start pumping out trans adapters on the cheap or find a solution.

A yamaha sho motor I'd say would be interesting, some have adapted it for rwd use already.

Even the Vortec I6 series like out of the envoy. They put down nice power stock.

A 3 rotor would be lovely

Your treading nice new ground too yourself with that nice benz motor.

As soon as mine is running well I'll be looking for a buyer for the whole swap to tread my own new ground. My dream v8 swap.

honestly i've never seen anyone put a vh in a z.. now im only on ratsun an the sr forums so i might be missing some stuff but even on youtube theres only videos of i think just 1 450z.. altho there seems to be more sx's with vh's then z cars.. atleast from what i've seen.. all the shows i've been to i've yet to see a vh in anything.. so to me it would be interesting an the first i've seen in person.

In person is always nice I've only seen one myself. On hbz though its a popular swap, even on nico people are tossing them into s13/14s. Thats why I so aristocratically brush it off lol, stuck up like that :lol:

DAMN THOSE RWD RICERS!!! man it pisses me off the honda fags had to jump on the drift bandwagon..

see cause i've always wanted a s13, but by the time i was old enough to have one they were the new honda. not to mention they're not exactly cheap.. even just a beat down shell can run a pretty penny.

really sucks :( im hopin in time people will move on, the price will drop an hopefully no one remembers what happend hahah :fu:

whats sad is when the sr20forum has get togethers they usualy DO NOT invite the 240 guys an most of em have sr swaps :lol:

I have a VG powered vehicle already and I have enough experience to know what it takes to make power with it. I like VG's I just don't need to spend that kind of cash on two vehicles. lol! My main problem has just been deciding which exhaust note I am going to love more. The sound of the vehicle is a big thing with me, I don't have stereos in any of my cars to drown out the sound of an annoying engine. Thats why I have been thinking 2j or VH v8 because both these engines sound amazing to me and believe it or not have huge power potential. Alot of aussies have unleashed the VH and knowledge is limited yes, but its out there and if you look at sites other than q45 specific sites you can find it. 2j's are an obvious power maker with the HUGE aftermarket they have and lately with the compound turbocharging becoming more popular we haven't even seen what these engines are really capable of. Yes, I want lots of power to scare myself with! lol!:)

Oh and lynch did you see that link I posted in Alans q45 thread? I would copy almost exactly how that guy adapted the T-5 to the vh45, so much better of an option and easier IMO than that z32 adapter kit they sell.

Edited by nismopu

I believe the final question between big power VH's and JZ's is do you want huge power but a graph that looks like this? ___/ or do you want huge power and a little more shape in your graph? I can tell you now that everything but pistons on a VH should be good to 800+ but a Z with 500hp is scary as hell and can get you from Zero to dead in a heartbeat.

Remember we're not dealing with supra's that weigh as much as clestial bodies...