custom headers

2007_1006Image0005.jpg

2007_1006Image0004.jpg

2007_1006Image0003.jpg

2007_1006Image0002.jpg

The top one was for a 510 and would not fit the truck so I modified it to work.I will have to notch the motor mount or build a custom one.

The second one is made from the remaining pipes cut off of the original.The flanges are cut off from the stove pipe mani.This will be a tri-Y design.Thin rusty pipes and cast mani flanges=pain in the ass to weld.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The reason I asked was the oil pan on it. Def. 4X4. The only year with L motor was... '80. Hmmm upon sober reflection, this pan isn't for an '80 motor. I have one and the bulge is on the pass side. The '80 720 with the L20B motor had the differential on the driver's side. This put the bulge on the oil pan on the pass side. All other years the diff was on the pass side, bulge on the drivers. Maybe this is off a Z series motor???

Always wanted to make a set of headers. Got a 180 amp Lincoln MIG welder this summer. Never was able to weld thin stuff before. What did you use and what amperage?

I have 3 headers and they all have the necessary shims for thickness.This 510 one,the long tube on my 620 and a shortened round port that went on the l20 with peanut w58.There are plenty of headers out there that would work.But this is the one I have so why not give it a shot rather than paying $150+.

I use a millermatic 250 wire feed.Constantly adjusting it to suit.

I mainly just want to replace the exhaust on the 521 to something that doesnt hit the frame.My current setup is a bastardized chopped up stock mani with 2" pipe.Great flow but hits the frame when the motor tilts under certain loads.