510 Wagon KA Turbo

fo0manchu

Here are some pictures of my project. The 510 is back under the knife.

Most of the turbo parts are out of the JY. Why you ask? Cause i'm cheap and can't justify buying new shinny parts.

Its going to be running stock wastegate and boost. I believe its 7 or 8 lbs of boost? Should be fun!

It will be running off of a safc tune and 370cc injectors.

Just got to figure out how I'm going to duct the intercooler. I was thinking about making a box underneath it and ducting it by removing the blinker. And then cutting a hole in the hood. Any suggestions?

DSCF4965.jpg

Plenty of room for a downpipe!

DSCF4971.jpg

Random picture of my rides, rivals back in the day, now buddies.

DSCF4959.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice build, what intercooler is that off of? junkyard builds are more impressive than name brand builds. it just shows more character.

its off of a saab or audi i believe... i forget which. But usually they have black plastic end tanks, this one was all aluminum so I decided to pick it up.

You could do a scoop down in your front air dam, come up behind the valance but in front of the tire well, through the sheetmetal where the right horn mount and stock fuel line enters, through the intercooler, and just vent into the engine compartment which should already be pretty low pressure.

You could do a scoop down in your front air dam, come up behind the valance but in front of the tire well, through the sheetmetal where the right horn mount and stock fuel line enters, through the intercooler, and just vent into the engine compartment which should already be pretty low pressure.

thats a good idea. thats what i was kind of thinking as well. So you think just venting into the engine compartment is fine eh? I was wondering about that.

thats a good idea. thats what i was kind of thinking as well. So you think just venting into the engine compartment is fine eh? I was wondering about that.
Maybe ask bertvorgon on the510realm as he would have more real world experience regarding the pressure differentials under a 510 hood. My thought is that yes, you'd have adequate flow. Given the cross sectional area of your lower scoop is the same as your intercooler, it would be the same as if the intercooler was mounted flat at your grill, taking into account some minor losses due to bending the air up the ducting, and that the air coming out of the top of the IC would be headed straight up at the hood.

its going slowly but surely. here are some pics of the manifold. Ended up going with a home made external gate. We'll see if it will works. Was fun to make. Actuator goes right on top and was off of a stock kkk turbo.

Also ended up not using my internal gated turbo due to, too many cracks around the waste gate hole. Luckily I had a newly rebuilt t3 unit as well.

Anybody ever use VHT high temp manifold paint. I wonder if it will hold up. They claim it can be used at temps up to 2000 F.

DSCF4975.jpg

DSCF4977.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So far it has been fun to drive this thing around. I get major clutch slippage just from getting on the throtlle a bit when I'm moving or on the freeway. I guess new clutch soon. I haven't given it full throttle yet, need to have someone help me watch the A/f's and the boost gauge.

Anywho, here are some pictures. I still got to get some odds and ends done, like painting some pipes and cleaning things up a bit.

The VHT paint didn't hold up worth squat. My stuff now looks like it has cancer with paint chipping off everywhere. I followed their directions correctly as well. Oh well.

DSCF4994.jpg

DSCF4995.jpg

DSCF4998.jpg

I'm probably going to redo the exhaust pipes, 3" is a bit big and rattles on the frame a bit. So I might just end up going with 2.5 all the way back. Or if I can find 2.75? Car sounds pretty dirty right now and I like it.