Project Ichorid, KA-t 510

ichorid

Ok, so Im gonna start a build thread.

Where she started.

web.jpg?ver=12357804970001

The original Napz 2.4 that was in when I bought her.

102_3847.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12342484090001

napz gone

102_3864.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12348082070001

Ka ready to go, fresh rebuild. tacky purple head.

web.jpg?ver=12349239950001

KA in and ready-ish to rock.

web.jpg?ver=12357913020001

KA running strong, getting the BMW headlights in.

web.jpg?ver=12401938160001

her at nicks with the face painted black and a carbon fiber hood.

3759477749_4ded117e38_b.jpg

And now at this point we're caught up, and she is not as attractive.

got her some 14x7 and 14x6.5 staggered longchamps, the white face is getting pulled out and chromed.

web.jpg?ver=12523482770001

now we are doing body work, in prep to paint her. The bumpers are getting straightened and rechromed with the faces from the long champs, as well as the trim, new grill etc. And for paint I decided to go flat/satin black. here are some shots of where we're at with body work. Seems like we did a lot yesterday. But still SOOOOOO much to do. Luckily I have a buddy who welds. The Previous owner LOVED BONDO! its disgusting how much we have chewed out.

IMG_0088.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12523481890001

the awesome rusted out roof, where the windshield seal sits.

web.jpg?ver=12523482580001

sweet bondo pile on the side here. + ratsun sticker.

web.jpg?ver=12523478640001

web.jpg?ver=12523478640001

Plans for the future, get the refreshed parts, paint, and body work done by JCCS(or tow where Im at to the field and show her off anyway.) Get the rims on, rear coilovers on. After JCCS we'll be starting the turbo.

the turbo build is based around a JWT ecu I have, 740cc injectors, 8.5 CR, z32 maf, t3/t04e .50 trim, undecided on intercooler, and some of the misc parts. but should be a pretty powerful ride. Any how if you want to see more of the pictures you can go here.

http://gallery.me.com/hackeyesup

or here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hackeyesup/sets/

I post up basically EVERYTHING that we do, or have done to the car since I have purchased it. I really enjoy this car/community so thought Id share, hope you like what I got going here.

special thanks to Jon, ohpyramids(andrew), My dad, and all you guys that have answered my many questions on AIM, IRC, and the forums.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Decided against shaving the side markers. going to mount and fit them like so.

u6dp

all the trim is off.

pjwm

rear end basically all done with heavy sanding.

7kyh

more REALLY awesome rust that has to get some big lovin.

c9fg

thats it small update for now. still an overwhelming amount of work to get done by JCCS. Keeping my fingers crossed though. My dad has been super helpful doing a lot of little things on days he can. I have to store the car in OC to work on it. no garage in LA suckkkksssss. but like I said. my dime will be at JCCS even if it snaked with no interior on a trailer.

Edited by ichorid

Thanks guys!

milestone today! we have our base layer of primer all laid out. We are sanding now with 320 to smooth it all out, and using just a little bit of bondo on some of the areas where we removed A LOT of bondo. Its a cop out half fix for now. Im just sorta rushing now since JCCS is so close. Fisch I think you're going to like my roof when its done. Im not going to put a headliner in. Instead Im having a vinyl sticker/headliner made for it. With ichorid, balthor the defiled, and a few other Black mana based mtg cards.

pics!

3938262687_1cf06bc15d.jpg

Longchamps. We are painting the white face this sorta matte aqua green. rather than dealing with the rim chroming process. The bumpers are taking long enough. I think with the polished lips it will really make the green pop. And look cool while driving.

3938263967_9e4bbbdcef.jpg

3938263097_156108a43a.jpg

3939040174_de1fe4d932.jpg

well thats it for now. next saturday sunday we should be spraying on the final color, have the car 100 stripped down with nothing on or inside. Smooth as a babies butt, and ready to roll. I should be able to get all my Turbo parts in line mid october, so thats when we'll really start seeing some fun.

check list for JCCS

Finish body work(almost there)

Spray, possibly with 600 or so grit, and spray again.

Put on the slotted xmember, rear coilovers, and rims.

put interior back together

Drive to JCCS. I have a feeling we will be working right up until the Brookhurst caravan to JCCS.

Thats all for today.

Oh and if anyone is interested in 3 of those rims, they are going to be for trade soon. Dont want much, just something. Keeping 1 as a spare tire.

Alrighty, JCCS is saturday. Here is where we are. We sprayed it on saturday and I think it came out pretty good for a couple of first time body work and painters.

this is 2 days after the paint was sprayed on this picture. with all the smoke and ash in OC right now its kinda getting dusty fast. We wanna wait to hose her off till this saturday for JCCS. Also my rims are on. Just a few more things to get finished up, get the bumpers back from the chrome shop, and get all the lights back on. And grille.

3964096362_2d9fc6958f_o.jpg

and a solo shot of the new shoes.

3964096248_4a0a5e7a64_o.jpg

well thats where she is. Had a ton of fun trying my hand at body work and paint. Ill tell you what though, after taxes and end of the year holidays. Im already thinking about having it taken to a pro to get 100% redone. We'll see though. I love my little ratsun right now. Didnt quite come out as satin as I thought the paint would. I guess the flat just really over took the mix. Can't wait to talk to a few body guys and get my flares going.

Edited by ichorid

some of the allu back on.

3965818739_4c06c977cb_o.jpg

coil overs on

3965818663_238fc49840_o.jpg

she is getting there, the bumpers wont be ready from the chrome shop till Friday night! ugh this is STRESSING ME OUT! My dad was putting the coilovers on and doing a lot of these little things to help me out since the car is sitting at his house. While putting the coilovers on he removed a DEAD FUCKING BIRD! from the stock rear spring on the passenger side.

When he told me this I immediately said, "did you take pictures?"

he said, "No thats disgusting why would I do that?"

I replied, "cause when I post that you found a dead bird in my rear spring, people are going to say, "FUCK THAT PICS OR IT DIDN HAPPEN!""

he laughed and said he'd shoot one of it in the trash. I have no idea how it got in there or how long it had been in there.

3969751965_cf697a35c2.jpg

all the lights back on and working. few more pieces of trim on.

3969751455_70d10fe904.jpg

grille and projectors back hooked up.

and this is my favorite. I have had this Purple head on my KA now since I got it. My dad decided to surprise me with. Just paint its not polished.

3969750909_1742520c96.jpg

byeah!!!!!!! thats all for now. Friday we'll be putting back on the bumpers and spraying a few spots over again to even out some low spots. JCCS here we come!

I also finished my To Order list. and I came across some interesting info on KA-T.

I was initially going to order a new Turbonetics T3/T04E turbo. But I have been choking on the ~1k price. Im not gonna cheap out and order a used one from some one I dont know. or Get a generic one off ebay. any how Im now looking at Holset turbos. Seems like they have a good rep and are not that expensive. Sure it wont look as balling as a Turbonetics with a godzilla bov and external wastegate. But you know what I can spend the savings on getting better pistons and injectors.

So now my build is going to look more like

HY35 turbo (with provided wastegate/setup for 18psi)

Nismo 740cc injectors

JWT ECU

z32 Maf

CP Forged pistons @8.5:1 CR

TiAL 50mm bov

FRsports top mount manifold

????? FMIC still unsure what I should run to fit. A guy I know with 2 KA-T 510s has these really nice minimal FMIC's that dont take up much room and the rad looks like it can still breathe well. So probably that FMIC

Greddy turbo timer and boost controller.

any how thats all for today. more fun tomorrow and friday.

WHOO WHOO WHOOO PSSSSSHHH!!!!!

I just bought from the KA-T member

Turbo is a Turbonetics .58 a/r .60 trim (puts down roughly 400whp at 24psi)

Injectors are MSD 72lbs (820cc) good for around 500whp on a 4cyl. (injectors will come with the injector harness)

Rail is JGY billet aluminum TOP FEED.

Fuel Pressure regulator

And for a little more I got his JWT Ecu setup for this setup. Now I have a spare JWT ecu setup for 740cc injectors and a T3/T04e turbo.

I wont be shooting for those target HP numbers at all. 300 ballpark Im happy. Tune down my more than capable setup.

some pics from him.

3uwi

x7wt

qaxq

Ordering my Pistons, MAF, FMIC, next week. And dropping the car of for its cage at WellBiltKustoms next weekend. after the cage is in Ill be taking this bad boy to get turbo'd and tuned..

should be scaring babies by my birthday in Nov.

thats all for now.

coming from you man, that means a lot. I am madly jealous of your rim collection. you have one of the 4 doors that swayed me from getting a 2dr. I saw a few and a clean 4dr outshines a BALLING 2dr any day. (in my opinion)

The 4 doors have the JDM appeal!:lol:

Scheduled Delivery Date:10/14/2009

Shipped To: LOS ANGELES, CA, US

oh those 3 lines of text are making days go much slower. Im working on a deal with a guy on zilvia for a maf, FMIC, piping and HKS BOV. Ordered the pistons yesterday. so yeah. Basically if this deal goes through Ill have every part I need sitting in a really big box ready to get put on the new engine. The current one is coming out and its all going on a freshly rebuilt KA.

thats all I got for now.

alright the parts are going to be flying in over the next few weeks. here is what showed up today + a shot of the rims a little more cleaned up.

(finally got my real camera on the car.)

4016220808_70959171c1.jpg

Im taking that white off asap.

4016220998_ca67be0458.jpg

4016221080_453fbf7ec1.jpg

the hair dryer to keep the engine sharp.

4015459243_7003d3fb67.jpg

820cc injectors on a JGY top feed fuel rail.

4015459293_3eeb78c140.jpg

JWT ECU, set for 820cc injectors, cobra maf, T3 Turbo, 8.5 CR, 91 octane, 8k rev limit(not that Ill go that high), top speed removed.

thats all for now, more stuff is in transit. I took these pics in some low light. Ill take more after they're cleaned up and polished.

Guest DatsuNoob

She's come a long way. I too have been fighting the war of removing tons of bondo layed by the previous owner of a couple fenders I have. Lets just say from 2 620 fenders I've removed about 10X as much as I plan on using on the entire truck. Dont get why people love that shit so much, but oh well. Wheels look good too btw. Do you have a link on who sells those injectors you bought, by chance? I want a set of smaller top feed infectors for a fuel rail I bought a while back. Anyway, looking great keep it up man!

http://www.msdfuelinjection.com/efi_injectors.html

that's where the injectors are from. Thanks for the positives guys. Next summer is hopefully going to be the fun summer for this baby. Ohpyramids and I are gonna drive our dimes to canby, jccs, anything we can get to really. I'm worried about traction right now I love these longchamps but I don't think they will be able to handle all the toque and rwhp. I'm on the lookout for some 14x9 wantanabes. Or some 14x9 longchamps or work equip 01s

well had to hold off on the custom cage and flares for a few weeks. I need to make sure these invoices I have out actually get to me. No more mentally spending money before its in my bank account. I think Ill just finish getting the little ods and ends then have it all put together, THEN take it to get caged and flared, and exhausted.