'97 BMW M3, getting a GM LSx V-8 conversion!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

amost had a heart attack based one the title i thought you were putting a gm v8 in the bmw i would have to burn it

Hmmm... Normally I'd take a post such as that as;

1) humor based on the performance improvement that WILL wink.gif be had by this conversion as well as the abilty to inexpensively keep adding even more ridiculous amounts of streetable power vs the cost of similar HP levels with the BMW engine, and that BMW engine at the same power levels being peakier and considerably more expensive to maintain should an errant part fail, or...

2)... with sooo many people that don't actaully read the thread they are replying in, there is a good chance you might be serious in your rhetorical comment because you didn't pay attention to any part of the thread you were reading, including the title. wc.gif

If #1, Coolio and thanks! victory.gif

If #2, then, NO! ass.gifclown.gif This is not a GM V-8 being installed in a '97 BMW M3 sedan. This entire thread is merely a figment of your imagination... gh.gif

laugh.gif

hows this project going anyways paul? Any updates?

Coming along slowly but surely. Customer projects take first priority. Finished up and shipped out a custom P-79 L-6 head to France, received a complete road race L28 from Minnesota with a Rebello built N-42 that I am freshening up, new cam. Also receiving 2 Custom N-42 heads this week from another road race customer I have built heads for in the past from the midwest, one is a freshen up after a few years of "successful" racing, the other hard core head he has yet to even run is back for a cam swap, (even more aggressive cam)! Assembling the custom SBC 350 I had posted for sale here for my father. He is going to use it in his '77 Chev short-wide pick up. Currently running GM crate engine Holley Stealth ram EFI intake and GM programmable EFI, Vortec heads I ported a few years back, will be adding a single Turbo with the new short-block. He is picking up the short block this weekend. The BMW project takes second fiddle to those projects.

For now, here is compilation of the updates since my last here...

Oct 4th;

Received my F-body trap door baffle, left my opinion on that here;

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=141988

Oct 25th;

Been doing some research and actual fitment of alternative brake options to free up more engine bay space, details of which I am not at liberty to give out at this time, suffice to say, results thus far are quite promising. cool.gif

This conversion will incorporate a few changes that will help improve space constraints within the engine bay as well as lower the cost of the typical LSx E36 conversions. spaccio.gif

Stay tuned, updates are still coming, but may take few more months for specifics to be released. wink.gif

Built another custom LSx specific tool as well;

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=146686

Oct 27th;

Drilled and tapped one hole in the 5.3L block for the F-body alternator mount.

After receiving this F-body alt mount from a HybridZ member, (Thank you benitoz) it became immediately clear the truck blocks were not manufactured for the car accy drives. 2 of the 4 F-body/Vette mounting bosses missing on the passenger side of the block. scratch.gif

A quick search revealed that most just drill and tap the one boss that GM graciously cast in the iron truck blocks and just delete the 4th bolt that GM completely ignored on the truck blocks.

After setting up mine, using a machinists transfer punch then drilling and tapping that boss for 10mm x 1.5 mm, that missing 4th bolt boss looks like it is good idea, but with three 10mm x 1.5mm bolts mounting the alternator already, Ron and I both agree that 4th bolt is probably more for the NVH requirements, making the entire engine and accy package as one mass vs 10-15 individual masses all ringing and vibrating at their own frequency. The Datsun Z car Alternator is mounted with far less attachment and works fine, as such I