slotted mag question

fisch

Did they make a skinny slotted mag for a SIX LUG bolt pattern? I know they made them for 5-lug, and prolly 4-lug, but what about 6-lug?

We are talking 15X4 here.

attachment.php?attachmentid=648101&d=1240789506

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Motavated! Can you double check the width for me? 14X5 might be interesting. I have a pair of 14x7.5 slotted.

I wasn't quite ready to shop yet as I am not sure what will fit my needs, and was more information gathering that anything. But you have me curious. So are you saying you have 4 of these?

6 inch wide are the narrowest I've ever seen. I would LOVE to have either a pair of 5 or 4 inch though!!!!! There IS a guy in Kingman (who still owns His chopped 521 almost 40 years!!) that went in the 70s to the US mag factory and convenced them to drill a new pair of 13" X 6" rims for the fromt of His truck!!!! It sits AWESOMILLY (sp) low!!!!!!!!!!! NO, they are not for sale or trade. The truck isn't either. If US would do that for Him, possibly a person asked to have 4 or 5 inchers drilled for 6 lug. MAYBE some exist from a similiar special order.

Another crazy thing that I know exists is Crager 5 spoke 13 inch rims!!! A guy that I used to party with in Barstow still owns them. He had them on a Nova during the 70s. I have tried numerous times, tried to get His BROTHER numerous times and other guys that might be able to "free them up" and He always asks, "If those are for Lepker, they are NOT for sale". He never got over, obviously, having to take a 35 mile cab ride in 1993 after a party We attended in Victorville. I have seen 4 spoke Crager rims (for Pintos, VWs and Vegas) but those are the only 5 spoke, 5 lug 13s I've ever seen.

Great info Steroid! So no 15x4 6X5.5, bummer. What about 5" wide ones in 6x5.5?

If I dug up some 4 lug 15X4" I wonder how hard (ie expensive) it would be to have someone plug the holes and redrill the aluminum for 6x5.5? (US Indy mags weren't magnesium, were they?)

I am trying to find a specific US Indy Mag website, with no luck? Do they still exist?

6 There IS a guy in Kingman (who still owns His chopped 521 almost 40 years!!) that went in the 70s to the US mag factory and convenced them to drill a new pair of 13" X 6" rims for the fromt of His truck!!!! It sits AWESOMILLY (sp) low!!!!!!!!!!!

Steroid, get these puppies redrilled! 4 vintage 13 X 5" Ansen Sprints

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-vintage-13-X-5-alloy-wheels-4X100-bolt-Ansen-Sprint_W0QQitemZ120461935918QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1c0c17452e&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

Edited by fisch

Great thread and info!! I, personally, am happy with the look of the 6" rims that I have found and am running on Funtana. There was a truck back in the 70s that ran ORIGINAL Centerline rims. These were the first ones made with the small center holes. I doubt if You could find a set now in 6 lug. Anyway, He had 4' or 5' up front and it looked GREAT! I wouldn't spend to fill and re-drill any but if a set ever surfaces of original 4' or 5' 14s, I would rather purchase them for "historic purposes". I am guessing that those shops also repair chipped rims?????

Vaughan says he doesn't narrow 6 lug heavy duty truck rims but I wonder if he'd do a pair of these? It might be cheaper to just narrow the two wide rims than have 24 holes drilled.

http://www.ericvaughnmachine.com/Services.html

Ansen.jpg

In my case I 'think' I would only need one pair redrilled. For the fronts. Do you recall if the fill and drill charge was $25 for each fill + $25 for each drill? That would get expensive.

Last I looked into having wheels widened (not shortened, but I assume the same $) it was about $100- $150 per wheel. So if someone were doing a pair, it would be $300 for 2 shortened wheels.

If one could find 4 lug, 15 or 14 X4 and we went per hole for the fill+drill, it would be $200 to fill and $300 for drill. So $500 for a pair.

Recap for a pair:

Filling and drilling 4 lug to 6 lug- $500 (@$25 per hole)

Shortening pre existing 6 lugs- $300 (@$150 ea)

So I guess it would be cheaper to have them shortened. But I don't know how hard it would be to get the offset and lip right if you shortened like a 7" or 8" wide wheel. I'd think the dish would be tough to get right unless you cut out the whole center. If it is a pain, filling and drilling would already cosmetically have the right look.

Interesting stuff guys!

I have a very special project on the way, which is why I am doing the research.

These are the Aussie versions, I've seen the 5 hole ones but they are no longer available. Iirc the, aussie, company that made the 5 hole ones got bought out by the mob that makes these ones in the 1980s. Seen a few 510s running these, some as recent at this week!

Personally I'm not a fan of them generally, remember I'm a 720 guy, but they would look sweet on an ol'school 620 or earlier.

Just e-mailed with Terry @ http://www.akhwheels.com

He has been in the vintage wheel biz fopr a while, and he confirmes it:

"Hi Scott,

*Never in 27 years in the vintage wheel business have a I seen one*that narrow in a 6 lug application as they would be afraid of a law suit if somebody put a load of rocks in a bed of the truck per say.

*We have just a set/4 16 x 8 1/2's in stock at present.

Terry Rowe

AKHWheels.com"

Another idea might be a spare tire wheel? I'm not sure what you've got planned, but I know in the 80's, a lot of guys bracket racing Mustangs would use the spare tire rim, and run it in the front with narrow tires. I think they were even aluminum.

Perhaps there is a 15", 16" or 17" spare tire/wheel out there that you could use to fab up the look you're after?

Here's some in the Seattle area. These are only 14", but it's a set of 6...

http://olympic.craigslist.org/pts/1301400516.html

Edited by nukeday
Another idea might be a spare tire wheel?

Here's some in the Seattle area. These are only 14", but it's a set of 6...

http://olympic.craigslist.org/pts/1301400516.html

It is funny you bring this up as I was looking into this just yesterday! This is letting the cat out of the bag a bit early, but I've bought a 1959 Datsun sedan!!!! I was saving the announcement till it gets in my driveway, but I am getting impatient to share the news! The shipper says they will have it here in 10-14 days.

Anyway, it ran 6X5.5 lug pattern w/ 5.00X15 wheels and tires, and I want it so low it will tuck tire. But modern rims look like they would hit the fender lip on them. Thus my search for a skinny.

I love the ol skool look of smoothies and a HB truck spare is 16X4! But I was also wanting the aggressive look of a mag. I will know more when I get it in the driveway and can really measure.

But yes, running spares is an option I am looking into. Especially if I do some cool custom paint in all the metal space! Here is what a HB spare looks like!

263382211.jpg

I know you can redrill your hubs to fit a standard 4x4.5 (mopar and ford) and one hole remains factory, still on center. Im sure that if you found a set of skinnys you could have the rims drilled out to 6 lug but it might be easier to redrill your hubs and axle shafts to fit the 5 lug... It would open up a whole bunch of options for old school/hot rod style wheel fitment...

Ive always thought that a set of old torq thrusts or ETs would look friggin sweet on a 620 or 521. Even a set of old halibrand kidney bean/salt flat racer wheels... oxidized black magnesium would definitely give that "rat" look, especially if you could find a set of old recap bias white wall slicks for the back.