L20 Carb tuning questions

I have a 1958 Mercedes Benz with a Datsun L20B swap from a king cab in it. Well I had some issues with the motor and my buddy got under the hood and messed with the air fuel mixture screw on the left side of the carb on the bottom and now its got me all messed up. Anyone know how much that needs to be backed out? My thottle is alllllll messed up now and cant drive it.:(

All help appriciated.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The screw to the rear is the idle speed screw, the one forward of that is the idle mixture screw. Neither have any effect above idle or when driving. Turn the idle mixture screw in gently until it bottoms out and back it out about 2 turns. Turn the idle speed up so it will run, then turn the mixture screw in until it starts to stumble. Now turn it out until it stumbles and then set half way in between where it gives the fastest smooth idle. Now turn the idle speed screw down as low as you can and again turn the mixture screw in till the idle becomes erratic, then out until erratic, and set about half way in between. Lower the idle speed and repeat until you have a smooth stable idle around 6-700 RPMs.

The motor must be warmed up and the ignition timing set properly first or this is wasted.

Edited by datzenmike

Thanks!!! I did get it started, and I usually can, but it wont stay running and if I give it gas it dies. Im pretty sure I gotta rebuild the carb. When I went to clean out my gas tank I dont think I got it all and REALLY BLACK GAS went through both filters and got into the carb and messed it up and ever since then hasnt ran. So I cleaned out the tank again and put CLEAR filters in so I can see (great this time around) and new lines, but it just doesnt wanna go anywhere now.

Yeah it has an idle cut off cylinoid. Although I did get it running beautifully, then I ran into another problem 2 minutes into driving... I think the T in my metal fuel lines that go around the motor are clogged up (near the carb) cause no gas is coming out of the return fuel line like it normally should. Is there any way to fix this?

Greatly appriciate the help! Glad I found these forums. Search button is pretty helpful too! lol Helped me a ton

Where the metal return line ends and the rubber return line is clamped on, is a restriction with a pin hole opening which is easily plugged. Remove the fuel rail and clean out. Be sure to use a new fuel filter to keep the crap out of the lines.

Filled it up with carb cleaner. and fixed that problem. But now a new problem...

Is there a Valve in that T part deal?? It sounds like theres a leak somewhere inside that tubing. It just simply sounds like air moving through a hollow tube but I cant figure out where its coming from and its neither of my vaccume lines.

The sound goes away when I stop the flow on my return line and then pressure builds up and finally fills up the bowl. But as long as that sound is there, there is no pressure into the carb and the motor will not stay running cause it drains the bowl out.

Any ideas on what this could be?

In a manner of speaking there is a valve. The end of the return tube has a very small hole to restrict flow so pressure will build and force flow into the carb. Without the restriction fuel will just flow back into the tank and by-pass the carb.

Its located just above the L fuel pump...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/L%20Z%20Heads%20and%20Motors/fuelreturn001Large.jpg[/img]"]fuelreturn001Large.jpg

Edited by datzenmike
  • 3 weeks later...