Winter race tires, I might be nuts.

HRH

Ah yes, so you fellow ratsuners know how rallycross/aspiring rally racers collective minds work, provided you're as sick as me, here's what I'm looking at!

Need some tires for winter racing. The skinniest I can find for regular passenger snows is a 155/80/13. Still need to figure out if the 13" rims will fit over the 280zx brakes and 200sx rotors in the rear.

Anyway, 155 isn't all that skinny. I'd prefer they made 145s or 135s, but alas, they don't. So I have a few options:

1. ATV tires. Unfortunately, most are still too tall in 14" and too wide also.

2. Blizzaks or similar soft winter tire and go nuts with a tire groover/cutter.

3. TRACTOOOOOOORRRRR! death metal tires. I'm looking at this one right now:

https://www.kenjones.com/Scripts/itemdetail.aspx?IK=344-443B&HDR_LINKS=XREF&XGID=REARTRAC_5x14&XGDESC=&calledFrom=

While I have no doubt these would work, I'm wondering about the effectiveness of this particular pattern in snowy/ice conditions. Something tells me I'd be better off with a cutting a soft snow tire to the desired shape. On the other hand, they're 5 inches wide, which is ideal, and I suppose I could add a few grooves and or trim down the lugs.

What do you guys think? :D

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, you must have a HUGE set of balls.

Something about tractor tires at speed just does not seem safe as far a stability. The other issue that i see about tractor tires safety is speed ratings and having them come apart at speed. Now, it is a concern, but on a race car/reasonably controlled enviroment, how big should the concern be? It's not like you are on the highways with bus loads of children, right?

Still doesnt seem right though.:D

Aww, I hate to hear of a 510 being neglected. But if you find it too neglected, you can always sell it to me!

I think for the budget I may go with a winterforce snow or a Blizzak depending on how skinny they make those. Probably the best bang for the buck since this isn't professional ice racing, it's just autocross guys screwing around in the winter. :D

Ok, I need some Canadian help here, how do I read that tire size for the BFG link? 14/56-13 It's 13 inch rim, right? What's the aspect ratio and section width? MM, CMs?

Edited by HRH

I had a bit of a hard time figuring out the link myself - it's not french either. But I believe it's a 145mm width tire, and the coversion makes it around 22.5" tall in the 13" rim size.

I'm also making out some compound numbers there, and a range of tempuratures from 20-50 degrees C

Byron