lower ball joint woes

jhughes26

i have had a rough time trying to find a replacement for my lower ball joint, my car is a 69 and that may be the issue. the one that kragen got me didn't fit, i asked at Nissan and they had two that they could order but not return at $90 and $150 and i thought that was an expensive experiment for something that probably wont fit, and i sourced one from a dime specialty place, and it was the wrong measurements.

the ball joint that i have has a threaded diameter of 3/8" and a 17 mil socket fits really nicely on the nut, cant be too exact on the diameter of the taper (dont have calipers) but it looks like it is 1/2" at the top and 11/16" at the bottom

PICT0001-3.jpg

PICT0002-2.jpg

anyone had this problem? was considering going to machine shop to have the arm bored out to fit the new ball joint, but would rather not. anyone done this and know part numbers or somewhere i can get this?

this is my steering arm that it mates to, would it be easier to get a new one of these that fits?

PICT0001-4.jpg

PICT0002-3.jpg

thanks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

from the pics it seems you may have 11 mm ball joints. They are still available as I was able to get them as I thought I had 14mm but found out my car came with 11mm units. if you can not get them let me know as i should be able to get them from you.

Damn I just did the same thing but the other way round! .. I needed the 14mm and accidentlly bought the 11mm ones from rockauto. I reordered the 14mm since i was impatient and didnt want to bs with sending them back .. so I got an extra set of 11mm if you need em there for sale! :D