new guy here with a 71 521 truck from san diego ca

ssdjoey

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've thought about slamming/bagging one of my 620's...shaving the door handles and doing a slight chop top and keeping it kind of a rat ride way left of perfection, but the sole 521 I have I would keep stock and take it back to showroom fresh. 620's and more recent trucks--do whatcha want with them...jack 'em up, beef 'em up, put monster truck tires on 'em, but 521's and earlier I'd go the other way. I'm sure a lot of folks beyond the ratsun regulars would much more appreciate the factory presentation.

Once I had a '62 VW shorty splitty bus. It sure was cool at the time; a real head-turner in the 1970's, but sheesh...at the very least these days I'd be laughed right off the TheSamba.com forums.

I *did* noticed what appears to be a slightly filmy/cloudy windshield on your rig. Mine has the same dilemma if true; can't shine it out or buff it away. It seems to be a common problem with the 521's and other era Datsun glass. I'm told the plastic laminate within the wafers of the safety glass is affected by the UV rays of bright sun and it begins to haze. During the night, I can see just fine...bright points of light don't radiate like star rays, but during the day the temptation is to wear sunglasses to pierce the murkyness.

I spotted a nice little 521 down a side street in Union, Oregon a couple months ago...methinks it's a '68 or '69...the only other 521 I ever saw in Union County...and then another one three miles up Clark Cr. Road east of Elgin three weeks but it wasn't there last time I drove up that way.

What a nice 521 you got! I'd love the original bumperettes and an uncracked dash (both almost impossible!) and the ride would look A+perfect. Hopefully it's safe and reliable. If you don't plan to drive it much, get the historical plates and save on insurance.

Edited by mellotrongirl

thanks for the replies as for the trade i gave him my 90 civic sedan i had a nice suspension set up along with coilovers a hks exhaust his headlights and fresh paint i also kicked in a few bucks i think we both got a good deal considering the work that was in both his and my vehicle

as for the bumperettes ive been looking for the for a while now also but no luck,im sure i will find them one day along with an uncracked dash

me personally i like the truck semi stock i know some on here will say to leave it alone but then ill never consider it my truck since i got it in the shpae its in plus i fix my vehicles for myself i really dont care what others think of them i take the words into consideration but i mean dont we all fix our vehicles for ourselves? im going to post a few picks of my other vehicles heres my infiniti q45 on coils

Picture347.jpg

heres my civic hatchback i just sold,still got the type r motor if anyone is interested ahahah

Picture151.jpg

heres my old RHD civic i had this thing for 9 years before i got rid of it(i still miss her)

Picture083.jpg

and heres the civic i traded for the truck i miss her also she was a great car never left me anywhere

IMG_1974.jpg

IMG_1967.jpg

If you like the truck semi-stock, there ya go! The sentence starting with "I like the truck..." is stated perfectly. A person's ride is an expression of that person's soul and should be considered sacred. My personal credo is to never make a person feel bad about themselves (which can cross over to unsolicited advice). I'd do the 521 stock if it was mine, but I'd perhaps refrain just short of the "look-but-don't-touch" perfectionist/purist mode. I mean...if I'm too scared to drive it in the rain or fearful some truck will flick up a piece of gravel and nick my oh-so-perfect paint job, I might as well stay at home!

I don't really own a handful of Datsuns as investments/collector's items. They're great workhorse trucks and great daily drivers. They're easy to troubleshoot and fix, and wrecking yards at least around the intermountain Pacific NorthWest still have plenty of cheap parts. With the exception of the EV, the other five Datsun trucks were bought for $300 to $700. If one dies, I don't lose sleep over it. They're decent diehard little trucks...'nuff said!

Edited by mellotrongirl

If your lookin for some bumperettes for your truck, here's the ebay link to some. I've bought alot of stuff from this seller including a set of these. They look good, just haven't put them on mine yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-620-UTE-Rear-Bumper-Steel-Chrome-LH-RH-NEW-s7_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3911Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem48370ff432QQitemZ310161437746QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

My only non-Datsun 1970's truck is a 1988 Honda Civic hatchback...the thing gets about 45mpg & like you say ssdjoey, it's never left me stranded. When gas prices spiked last summer, I got a lot of offers for the car...a bit more than the two grand I paid for it three years ago. I also used to get notes under the wipers asking me if I'd sell one of the Datsuns, but word's got around town I'm not letting any of them go, so my fan base has retracted back to the stands.