Don't ask me why, I don't know. 68 Roadster

Starting a project thread for my 1968 Datsun Roadster... I bought the car a year ago and had this in mind when I got the car.

Redtail-modSRL.jpg

I've been working on this car off and on for the last year. I hurt my arm working on the car and at the time was planning a ground up restore and couldn't lift the body off the frame..

After time passed I noticed something funny about the rear of the car and found lots of bondo...

painted it to stop what I thought was only a small rust spot

1.JPG

4.JPG

This was most of the rust I could find on the car...but then...

Fairlady5.JPG

I started sanding on the rear after I had a hunch there was more then just small dings on the rear and knocked all off crapload of bondo... I then found the rocker on the drivers side is missing the lower half after you reach the back of the door....

Thinking it might end up a mix between the Japanese GP as I want to build a modern day Fairlady S. I'm going to be getting an RB20 for the car this weekend, and am going to be swapping that into the roadster.

http://www.datsun.org/fairlady/Oct2006.htm

http://www.datsun.org/fairlady/JapanGP1966.htm

http://www.datsun.org/fairlady/Dec2005.htm

I'll be shoehorning it in somehow, stay tuned for progress as I pick up the engine this weekend.

I'll have exact measurement pictures up tonight, have to resize them.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DSC_0045.JPG

Here is the Zoadster which has an L28 I like this car but sadly it was scrapped by the owner. I have a feeling I'll have to re-locate the radiator.. I'm thinking of doing like Top Secret's v12 Supra and do a rear mounted radiator.

Still tinkering with ideas, I don't think this will be a daily driven car but going to try to make it as streetable as possible.

Looking at also going up to 2.2 or 2.4, not sure on that yet.

Edited by FoxyRoadster
Ill be watchin your build :D

Just dont wait for it to be 100% done, you'll be here a while.

IMG_2939_skeleton_chair_atlantic_MK.jpg?t=1249778276

On a serious note does anyone have the exact dimensions of the L28 and its transmission? I just want to compare against the RB20 I know the RB will fit as I've measured it out already on the Datsun.

http://s690.photobucket.com/albums/vv263/foxyroadster/ I uploaded some images of the Zoadster I've found online to here... I think it looked badass.

Now comes the question of what rear end, as I'll be running a KA transmission most likely I'm thinking might do ford as I can get it in the same lug as my Datsun came stock with.

Edited by FoxyRoadster
typo :P
are you wanting the length from the front cover to the tail or from the crank pulley to the tail?

Front pulley to the tail of the engine, from the base of the oilpan to the valve cover, mostly.. Be nice to get from the pulley to the end of the transmission where the driveline starts.

Front pulley to the tail of the engine, from the base of the oilpan to the valve cover, mostly.. Be nice to get from the pulley to the end of the transmission where the driveline starts.

lucky for you have spare L6 motors and trannys lol Ill get those for ya

thinking of supercharging a L28 instead of buying an RB.. I'm just needing 300hp max.

I've got the SC14 sitting around still from the sc r16 I planned.

:D mmm, more original than the RB too, theres a few S/C L28's just not many

what would your motor specs be for that set up?

:D mmm, more original than the RB too, theres a few S/C L28's just not many

what would your motor specs be for that set up?

Not 100% sure, I'm kinda running around like a kid in a candy store looking at engines. I'd like an RB series, just stateside I just don't think it would be a good engine for what I want.

I was planning on a carbed, computer ignition controlled, twin charged engine with the RB... I think the L might actually be the better engine for this as there is a lot more support for it stateside then for the RB20....I put a rod through the RB block I have to wait for shipping... I do that with the L series I go pull another out of a Z.

I'm also in debate on even flaring the front and just installing the ZG's on the rear.. I found the Roadster wont gain any width on the front wheels, but I gain 2 inches on the rear if I use them.

F the bullshit

Stuff it with a VG just like this

With mega flares

spl311-vg1.jpg

If I was gonna go with a V engine I'd install a Buick 3.8L :P

http://www.mildevco.net/chevypowereddatsuns/ of course I've had some ideas from all the other datsuns I've seen done..

I'd like to do a wide body roadster, just figure out how wide is too wide yet, I like wide... but I don't think a super silhouette roadster would look very good...

Edited by FoxyRoadster
typo

the supercharger is a Toyota SC14 I got cheap, I'll have to tinker with it a bit.

I'll have to figure out what I'm going to do with the carbs.

I got this megajolt to put it together and see about running it on my Datsun and want to play with it a bit anyhow.

Should be fairly cool even if I don't even use the engine.

Got my trigger wheel and EDIS system in, waiting on the ECU that finally got shipped.

Currently working on a mock up for the widebody, the car will be 3 inches wider on each side. I'll be using the stock fenders and extending them 3 inches so I will be gaining a little weight but will be cutting weight out as well.

I considered doing fiberglass or carbon fiber but since this car is a street car I like the idea of keeping the body mostly steel, not to mention I'll be lightening the body some.

3.jpg

I'm rather slow on the updates lol

I've started mocking up the front for widebody as it is easier to start with then the rear. :P

6.jpg

I don't quite have it 100% on how but I wanted but just to see what it would do if I stuck it out a few inches from the body itself.

2.jpg

5.jpg

1.jpg

I'm sure I've lost my mind, but I'm going to do it anyways... I'm currently trying to get another one that I can cannibalize for parts.

• 1 month later...

My fingers hate me this morning, but I the power supply works so my shittacular soldering works. :lol:

normal_PICT0008.jpg

normal_PICT0009.jpg

Tonight I finish the rest of it, but so far I'd say I've not burnt the house down building it . :lol:...yet.

I'd say it would be easier if I had a finer tip, but I couldnt find any locally any finer then the standard tip..

Here is the how-to guide if anyone is curious

http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_kit_assembly_guide

I'd say I kinda wish I'd spent the extra cash and had bought one put together but I just *had* to do it myself.

• 2 weeks later...

unfortunate news... I compression checked the engine again and found cylinder number 3 is giving me only 45psi.. I'll be pulling the head and checking what the deal is as I think the headgasket has crapped out on it. I don't know how being it hasn't been run since I last checked it out...

I'm now wondering what I'll do while I do the body work.

I'm going to tear down the engine and find out whats going on with it... I'm considering getting rid of the R16 in favor of either a KA24 or a 13B, depends on what the condition of the overall motor is when I tear it down.

Might just plop the cash down on a 13B turbo.... Who cares about gas millage?