Howdy

Loz

So this is the first weekend with my 620 pick up. Got a few good jobs done but still having trouble getting feed from the propper fuel tank, using a temp 5lt jobbie for now.

33639000035_large.jpg

Love these old trucks. shouldn't really have bought this one. My time should be spent on the MA Thesis and my Money should be being saved. But here we are all the same...

It is the single most uncomfortable car to drive and yet, I love it. makes me look like a hick. Still I love it. No Air conditioning (yet) and the love goes deeper.

What the heck is it with these old trucks?

you can see her at cardomain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3363900/3

oh yeah... ANy reason why it would have no hand brake?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm.... thanks for that.

So any clues as to where it went. How hard it is to replace.

great thing about having a pick up is you can through a couple of rocks in the back: Instant Parking brake (Wheel chocks!)

Any clues on how easy or hard a new speedo cable would be to fit would also be welcome!

Cheers.

The cable is inside an outer sheath to protect it, if at all damaged it will let in water and dirt so replace the entire assy.

If you can get your hand up behind the instrument cluster you can unscrew the head end then pull it out towards the engine through the fire wall. If not remove the cluster toward the steering column to gain access. The tranny end is on the tailstock near the back passenger side and you may need pliers to loosen it then just remove everything. New cable is likely lubed but check it. Use a graphite dry powder or anything with molybdenum disulphide in it. Install gauge end first then the tranny end. The inner cable looks like a long coiled spring with a keyed ferrule that locks it into the speedometer drive cog in the tranny. Engage this end next and then slide the sheath on and tighten hand tight. The other end will find its way into the speedometer head and seat itself, if not then, it will as soon as the cable starts to turn. Be sure to tie the cable well up out of the way so it does not snag on anything.

for your fuel tank i would recommend dropping the tank, (very easy i dropped one in the junkyard the other day out in a field in like 20 min, hardest part was getting it out from under the truck once it was on the ground) anyways drop the tank, clean it up, take out the sending unit, inspect/clean tank as necessary, then if you arent running your egr shit cap off all the outlets on the top of the tank, you will only use the outlet that is on the lower right side of the tank, then after it is all cleaned up and inspected i would recommend painting it while it is out, (i used duplicolor bedliner with a self etching primer), now that your tank is good, cleanout/replace your fuel line, i just ran new line from the fuel pump straight to the tank, very very easy, if not blow out your old line with an air compressor and you may or may not have to use some wire to break loose any dirt inside of the line, once your done with that reinstall your tank and be sure to use new bolts!!!! before i had a real gas tank i had a boat tank in my bed!!!! how gay is that? i got a 620 tank from the yard for 10 bucks, it plugged right up and my gauge works great!!!! i didnt realize how good the gas mileage is in my old 620!!! good luck man an WELCOME TO RATSUN!!!!! i wanna see more pics

Oh, I think I am going to like this forum. Those are great instructions, thanks!

I am going to have to pace myself with this project but having a great forum means the list of things I CAN do will be growing like a weed!

Cheers!:D

Wow, !

The tank advice is great. SOrry to be a bore but now I have a semi related problem.

Carb is now flooding and pissing out down onto the manifold. Not good. If the car had actually started and then poured fuel on the manifold I think this would have been a very short story!

So before I call out the carb pro, can you guys give me any advice on why a sweet running carb (that had been stood for 4.5 years and then ran pretty smooth started with no accelerator) would pack up its toys and stop working but leak loads of gas?

I noticed the glass inspection window in the front side of the carb seemed to be leaking when standing. just a little bit. but could this have got worse quickly. (Truck has only been run for less that 60 minutes cumulative total since I got it Friday.

ANy carb help, much appreciated!

as for pics....

feast your eyes!

33639000032_large.jpg

33639000037_large.jpg

better pics to follow... when I can drive her again lol~

cant tell without looking at your carb and i am no expert, but if it sat for several years i would recommend rebuilding the thing, it could have bad gaskets or just loose screws, either way you cant go wrong by rebuilding it, it seems complicated but my thoery on complicated equipment is, the parts will only go in one correct way, any other way and you will know it, a carb rebuild kit for the stock hitachi will cost you about 20 bucks, take your time and try you best to remember how shit goes together, about a week ago my truck started running like crap and within 2 or 3 hours i took my carb off, took it apart, cleaned it, and put it back together in just enough time to go to wendys to get a burger lol, truck ran great, it was my first time ever taking the carb off my truck, much less taking it apart, you shouldnt have any problem, but be sure to work in a clean area with no cracks or anything around that screws or springs could fall into, i hate looking for that tiny ass part in the middle of the night, i would recommend working on a white towel so you can see all of your parts easily and so thing wont roll around, if you run into any major trouble i am sure there is someone here who can help :):)

THanks for the words of encouragment.

The only downside to the rebuilt kit is over here, if I buy it the labour to fit it is virtually free for 20 bucks I think the guy would come to my house and do the job in situe... I guess I should just find the guy to do the job.

Saying that, I would really REALLY like the feeling of having "understood" the carb myself and fixed the problem. I've done bike carbs so maybe I should have a look first... worst case scenario, I can give the pieces to the professional to fix... wonder what a scrap yard carb would cost... matter of fact think I about to take a trip and answer that qquestion right now!

wish me luck!

yup,

As stated. the bed is the 720 bed. not sure of the vintage. I would rather have a complete 620 bed but in the short term I'm just working with what I have got. One idea is a wooden flat bed with no side panels or tail gate and some custom tail lights...

As the Jesuites said, "...the possibilities are endless".

deffo a 720 bed.

Good news. Sorted the Carb. it was the float sticking... little washer came loose? took a bit of faffing and then got the intake bloked so had to pop that off and clean then set the float just right but before running out of patience it was sorted. Also got new brushes in the starter motor cos the battery was not fried, the starter brushes were! All clear now, spins very free.

Love this truck!

next stop. Lowering and sorting the fuel tank blockage.

that don't look like a 720 bed to me,check out the hooks,and the tail lights look like toyota.maybe because it's not a us import? idk for sure my 2 cents

I think you're right.... just assumed no one would put a 'Yoda box on a Datsun. 720s never had those hooks unless Datsun did this outside N Am. What dees the tailgate say on it??

No Harm no foul.

You just don't know what you don't know.

I guess the Asian market is not the same as North America. If you have ever been to Asia you'll not find this at all surprising.

None of this changes the fact that I would really rather have a 620 bed on the back. Or a custom flat bed with checkerplate or wood.