78 b210 Coupe project

Well i started the teardown today. I began with the bumpers, and the side skirts someone thought they would bondo on there o.O it was bad, and worse when i found out the skirts were riveted on. o well i ripped them off ill deal with the rivets when i pick up my dremel. here are a few pics not to high quality but gets the idea across.

strippedrear.jpg

strippedfront.jpg

before

009.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well i plugged along a little today, low cash means little jobs on it right now lol. i got the grill out and sanded, the people who thought it was a good idea to put house paint on it were jerks lol i sanded for 3 hours on this thing. and if i can find a jdm grill i will be trashing this one neway lol where here are the pics.

when i peeled it off

DSCF0868.jpg

stripped it down i wish you could see how thick and splotchy the paint is on it:eek:

DSCF0870.jpg

bout an hour and a half of sanding with 120 grit still a long way to go

DSCF0871.jpg

after i got a coat of primer on it smooth as a baby's bottom :D

DSCF0873.jpg

DSCF0874.jpg

im going to keep it in primer till the rest of the car is ready for satin black. :D

a peek at sundays job for me o.O

DSCF0872.jpg

welp more updates tomorrow thanks for reading and please comment with ideas and critiques. or if you have something i would be interested in putting on here (cough Air dam cough) lol

well i got an early jump on the roof, it was driving me crazy and plans fell through so here is what i got done tonight,

taped up

DSCF0001.jpg

bye bye pitting and rust the last time ill see it :D

DSCF0003.jpg

the coat to see which pits are just going to fill and sand down to even with the rest, and find the really deep ones that are going to need bondo'd and sanded even

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

well i got most of the small pits out after i sanded, and layed a nice even thin coat of bondo and sanded the deeper ones its like butta :D. there are still a few dings and dents i need to pull out but ill get to that when i start pulling the rest of the dings on the body.

now to deal with the aftermath of the stupid f'n sideskirts i ripped off the other day

DSCF0007.jpg

this is the thickest lump of bondo ive ever seen. some of it just peels and cracks off easy, but the majority of the filler is on there extremely well and i have no ideas other than just gritting it out with a chisel and a hammer. i would burn through too much sand paper trying to sand it back down, maybe a pressure washer.... o well ill worry about it tomorrow.

well got out there today i had planned on busting out the side skirt bondo, but the roof was bugging me. it wasnt quite perfect i kept finding imperfections with pitting :mad: so i got to work with my sanding block. well here are some pics

this is what nightmares are made of lol

DSCF0009.jpg

sanding began

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0019.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

after :D love

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0022.jpg

DSCF0023.jpg

now to the little misc things i also started today,

peeled the "datsun b210 badges off to check for rust and so i can refinish them this is what i found

DSCF0017.jpg

not to bad and the ones behind the windows had no rust just mounting posts thatll be easy enought to clean off.

and a quick look at the rivet madness that was my sideskirts, i cant wait to get a dremel on payday.

DSCF0012.jpg

well thats it for now its photo heavy :D but im using this as a log book for myself as well as your entertainment lol thanks for reading.

it doesn't look that bad without the rear bumper. the fastback 21o's dont have the a rear valance cover that yours does. i would totally drive it like that. just a thought, maybe you can have the exhaust come out through one of the holes

well i have decided that suspension is going this weekend. i have tried to find aftermarket springs for the front but thats impossible unless i get eibach to custom roll me some for a price they wouldnt tell me lol, so i probably couldn't afford them neway. so im going to cut the springs makes me cringe a little but its a skyscraper right now lol. the lowering blocks should be cake for the rear at least. ill get pics up probably sat morn.

now for the guts of this thing. i want to do an engine swap but i dont quite know which way to go. i am really leaning toward a twin turbo 13b, but havent set my way in it yet. i had been thinking of a ca18det also but power for room taken up its hands down the 13b. beyond the drive shaft i should be able to handle the fab work for the install, and electrical is not a big deal to me. i just kind of want ya'lls opinions on it. a 13b would turn it into an absolute monster i would need a ton before i did the swap tho. stiffen up the body, do a real suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes, a rear end, and possibly a tunnel job. really the only part that scares me are the brakes.

i am trying to figure out the rear end and the breaks first. i am sure i can get a set up put together just wondering if anyone has done a major brake upgrade to a b210 on here and trying to get some advice on what to use.

Brakes are easy. Swap your stock front suspension for the 280ZX front strut assemblies. cut the lower spring purches off and weld the B210 perches on lower position. Because the B210 springs are smaller diameter you need to swap them. You get big rotors and better calipers this way. Don't use 240-280Z because they have positive camber.

well i kind of sold out i was sitting in the garage staring at the gaping hole in the front bumper and the rear and kind of got a little worried about the work. i have tried a few different places to get a fg air dam but no one ever replies and no one has anything for the rear. so i called a pro, he is going to fab up a front air dam similar to the paul newman 510 and we are still pooling ideas for the rear but now its looking like we are going to try and find a smaller bumper to french in and smooth out the rear. while he is at it im getting the fenders rolled and am going to work on some suspension issues to get it ready for a 13b, that he is also going to make motor mounts for. so ill still be doing the wiring, tuning, and the interior, but im leaving the big jobs up to a pro its cheaper than me trying to buy metal working tools neway. lol so im kind of a sell out i just dont want to ruin it, there just arent enough of them left to half ass nething imho.