Hidden Receiver...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one on My white 1972 1/2 truck. It was made from a 720 receiver. It was turned upside down, to get the receiver hole up into the recess between the taillights, and then modified to fit. I don't have any pictures right now but what also was done was bumperettes added with modified brackets welded to the 720 receiver. Also, the license plate "housing" was removed from the rear of the bed and welded to a piece of 2" thin wall squarestock. It slips into the receiver during most of the time unless I want to trailer, where it is removed for the trailer hitch receiver.

practical to hide the entire hitch cross bar behind the tail light housings, but the receiver will be hidden behind a flip-down license plate mount from a '60's GM passenger car (a completely hidden hitch bar that would let me keep the spare tire under the bed and get the operating rod into the tire lifting mechanism would take more fabrication than I'm willing to pay for).

Hitch bar that's being used came off the extended cab 620 that was at the Rancho Cordova P&P (which has since gone to the big scrap yard in the sky), adapted to tuck up as close to the frame ends and spare tire as possible.

Not so sure about that one, I would like to see how that looks after that hitch flexes down a little and tweaks that sheet metal. Or if the chains are swinging around at all. But who knows, maybe its fine. Not that I have a better way off the top of my head, so I guess I should keep my mouth shut. Nah! Z