dried up brake fluid

im on to my brakes on my 620, it sat for unknown years estimated 14 to 20 years, the master caps were not sealed right so the whole system evaporated and luft a funky crust,

i replaced the master with a good reaman one from napa, i cant get fluid to flow to the wheels, so my plan is to check every spot in between, like the ditrubution blocks ( iguess they are called)

whats a good solvent to disolve the old crusty dried fluid, denatured alchohol?

im sure the wheel cylenders are gunked up, i will take them out tomorow to see how bad they are.

im tempted to try to blow some air trough each line ( discontected of course) to see if it helps.

if any one has any advice on dealing with this im open to sugestions.

i want to get the brakes working so i can finaly drive it around the block and see what else is in need of help.

thanks for any ideas

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Brake cleaner would be the most expensive but best solution. It's designed to clean out residue without leaving any contamination of its own. Denatured alcohol will leave a residue after you are through and probably contaminate the new brake fluid. Isopropyl alcohol [iPA] is a practical solution, it leaves no residue [it's used to clean spacecraft parts to insure no contaminates prior to launch].

Isopropyl alcohol [iPA] is a practical solution, it leaves no residue [it's used to clean spacecraft parts to insure no contaminates prior to launch].

I used IPA to clean aircraft electronics too, dosent leave any residue but if somethings stuck on there good it needs a bit of a scrub to get off. Id go with break cleaner tho.

im tempted to try to blow some air trough each line ( discontected of course) to see if it helps.

were ALL the rubber lines replaced??? do so if not.

air --> brake cleaner --> 90% IPA (better than 70%!) --> air

bleed well.

• 2 weeks later...

i got a day off today, so i worked on the brakes some more,

i found the lines were plugged up at the angled part that the felxablie line connects to right at the wheel cylenders. they flow great now.

next i have to get the rears flowing and try to bleed the system after.

i know the wheel cylenders will probably leak if i dont change them, so they are on the to do list before i do driving and messing up the brakes, which all look like they have very few miles on them.

Edited by herculesinwyoming