Why Datsun is moving slow.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49 Mercury with electric overdrive switch. Irresponsibly driven, I had 6 forward speeds and 2 in reverse. Lot of fun in that car!

Yep, that 49 Merc would be a nice retirement package today. Extremely hard to find a nice one.

The 49-51 Ford OD tranny won't go in reverse with OD engaged. I hear frequently from a new Shoebox owner with OD, who gets it home and then drives it and engages the OD. Then they can't get it in reverse to back into their driveway or something. Don't know they have to disengage the OD.

I know about the fun! I was at a show recently with it. This little old blue haired lady walks up and gives it a long lookover. Then she turned to me and said "I got knocked up in the back seat of a car just like this. I've gotta go get my daughter and show it to her!". I ruined a perfectly good lawn chair I was laughing so hard.

Edited by dgi
Are those a mags !?:D

Back in the day they were called "mags". :D

They are a set of "vintage" Cragar SS "mags". 14" on the front, 15" on the rear to get the stance right.

I know about the fun! I was at a show recently with it. This little old blue haired lady walks up and gives it a long lookover. Then she turned to me and said "I got knocked up in the back seat of a car just like this. I've gotta go get my daughter and show it to her!". I ruined a perfectly good lawn chair I was laughing so hard.

I woulda taken a pic with that lady just because of what she said. That's awesome.

Sad news... took the 51 out for a drive tonight. Guess it was mad at me because I've been planning on selling it.

I was motoring down the interstate doing about 60mph when the hood blew up. I was able to safely get it slowed down and over to the side.

Severely bent up the hood and scratched both front fenders. Likely damaged the hinges, but don't know tonight.

The 49-51s are notorious for the hood blowing up. I wouldn't even drive this car until I found and installed the unobtainium factory auxillary hood latch. Even that didn't prevent it this time. Next hood will have two hidden pins!

Edited by dgi