new volt reg sounds

bucket

volts were running bout near 16 ....

funny sound from reg after a week or so.

got new volt reg.

now volts are right (13.9ish)

odd sound now in new volt reg when rps down.

sooooo.... alt brushes ? new altenator? or else?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The new solid state regulators make no sound. The original Datsun type, being electro-mechanical relays might make a little buzzing or cliking sound, but I've never noticed.

Is it a whining sound? If so that like to be a blown diode in the alternator.

Yes, there are three diodes in an alternator. If one blows/breaks, the alternator tends to whine. Had that happen several times in different makes of cars. They seemed to charge OK with one open diode, but I eventually replaced the alternators just in case...

Sometimes you can takes them apart and test the diodes with an ohmmeter, but not with the Datsun Hitachi units. You'd have to unsolder these type to isolate the diodes for testing. I just swap Datsun alternator for another good used unit...

Edited by ggzilla

i already got a new volt reg in there. and thats were the sound is comeing from just like the bad one started doing. it sounds like a skweeky floor board or old door hinge when the car starts mostly. just bought it threw schucks.

so its gotta be something else makeing it do that.

For the price of a new regulator get a '78 and up alternator from the wreckers. The regulator is built in and is quiet. All regulators will make some sound because of the opening and closing of the contact points inside.

Tim said He put another voltreg in and it making the same noise.

I never had a new volt reg bad from the store. Tim(bucket) has ordered another.

But Im wondering if the alternator has a bad diode or something passing 60 cyles waveform instead of the 120(bridge rectifier) and the mechanical volt reg cant keep up thus making the noise.

Make friends with frank and jeff so you can some spare volt regs and alternators as they thru some of that stuff away last week.

• 4 months later...

how about putting a volt meter on there first?

it can still be ok charging wise but alternator have bearings and they can wear also. or the water pump bearing maybe can squeal but more likely wear out and get loose cause of too much tension on the bearing by tightening the belt too tight puts too much of a preload on there.

could be a bad belt also.

if you have ac that could be that belt also.