i need rod specs L16,L20,Z22,Z24,L24 ETC...

steve g

hello,

After discussing the z24 mods i am set on doing a stroker crank.

I found a company on the east coast that specialize in 4 banger stroker setups.

But he gave me some homework.......

The nissan cranks dont handle welding very well so the other option is to offset grind the existing journal , as result i will have a much smaller rod journal size...

So i need specs on nissan rods that have smaller journals and their legnth compared to the stock z24 rod. I also need the stock z24 rod specs because i cant find one in my pile. Any additional info..pin size, floating or non, and width will also be appreciated.

The machinest suggested considering a z22 block.... so if anyone had deck specs z22 vs z24 that will also be appreciated..... thanks in advance

Steve

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All the rods you have listed have 53mm big ends.

The Z24 rod is the longest of those you mentioned.

All those rods have 21mm pins.

None of them should have full floating pins, but it should be possible to machine them for that.

Z22 blocks should have a 227.45mm deck height. Z24 should be taller at 247.45mm.

The crank should accept offset welding, but it isn't some run of the mill domestic cast crank. The Nissan pieces are forged steel, so you'd have to find someone who knows what they're doing to take it on.

Most all of this information is available with help from Google.

The Z24 rod length from c/l to c/l is 165mm same as the KA24E but it has a floating piston pin and the rods are thinner weaker looking. All Z and L series 4 and 6s have the same main bearing and piston pin size. The closest smaller rod size is from the Z20E at 152.5mm so forget using anything from an L or Z motor unless using a custom piston. Even then there wouldn't be enough room for the rings.

The rod width is about 27mm.

Edited by datzenmike

thanks.... from what i have found hondas has many small journal rods, all i need to find is what the legnth is, and rod thickness.

He discouraged welding the nissan crank due to the heavy penetration and heat needed to make it work properly. often causes weak spots in the crank.

Since i never intend on spinning over 6500 rpm i still may consider welding but am trying to avoid it.

the ka24 has floating pins, not the z24.... i know that for sure.

I have attempted to follow through with some of jason greys info and found he is about as accurate as a blind man firing off an automatic weapon on a sailboat in a hurricane

Good to know datzenmike. I hadn't yet heard that the Z24 had floating pins, just that the LD28 did.

My previous statement may be misleading... only the KA24E has the floating pins. Here's one of mine:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/L%20Z%20Heads%20and%20Motors/720stuffKA24Epistonrod003Large.jpg[/img]"]720stuffKA24Epistonrod003Large.jpg