Anybody heard of a QR25DE swap yet?

das280zx

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, in doing some searching, I have found no evidence of a swap. I did do a search on car-part.com and there were 2 engines at some place called Grundy's. I think wiring it up would be super hard. I don't know how you would defeat the fact that it probably needs the electronic key to start it. Probably wouldn't be worth it, but the qr25 is a very nice and torquey engine.

The qr in the frontier imho is garbage, total truck engine. Too boot since it's so recent they are asking decent money for them. Thats why we haven't seen it, yet. Cast unbalanced, internals, requiring balance shafts, starved and lazy making less hp/tq then any other variant etc.... Now the qr in the SE-R is a totally different animal.

At least Nissan finally figured out they didn't need 2 different blocks.

The QR25 block is the same FWD or RWD.

Also the head works pretty good (better than an SR20DE), but the long stroke kills high RPM reliability.

I had a conversation with the folks at Nissan Comp, their SCCA World Challenge effort done thru Real Time Racing kept busting rods and pistons because of the stroke and high piston travel speeds.

They are/were used in off shore markets as 2.0L only difference is crank stroke. I'd bet a 2.0L turboed would be a good option.

Ya I believe the 2.0 to be a way better option. Give it some time and I bet cheap ones will start showing up at engine depots too, it's been a while for the 2.0.

Personally, I don't really think a high rpm motor is necessary. Especially with how much torque this engine makes down low. Turbo it and it would be a monster. I hear you woudl probably need new pistons though. Not only to lower the c/r but the rings are very close to the top of the piston, which I guess could cause some problems. My dad has an 02 SER spec v. We used to autocross it. This car could basically run circles around my zx. Modifying my zx with sway bars helped me to keep up somewhat, but the spec-v was the better car for autox. The engine has so much smooth torque it is just amazing. A very under-rated engine and platform in my opinion. A se-r engine in a much lighter datsun would be an impressive ride, no doubt (probably be about like a vg, but lighter)

I Don't agree with that at all. The BEST variant of the motor in the 07+ SER makes its 180tq at almost 6k rpm. Although a fair amount for a 2.5(way long stroke)thats not down low lol. If you race with a gasoline I4 you need rpm, that's just why it is imo.

Lets say turbo, right off the bat you need to crack it down to replace pistons AND rods, depending on the motor you need a balance too. So even if that works after paying all that money for the motor it's too much trouble.

It's cool its so light and all alum and what not, cop layout. I like it, but built for performance it's not.

I don't think you really need rpm's to be that high for racing. It sure doesn't matter all that much in autox. But opionions may vary. The L28 is not a high revving motor by any means. Mine doesn't like to go past 5k. For autox racing, the qr25 works well. For road racing or something more hardcore, well no maybe not. But how many people do that anyhow?

Ya it works because its there already but to pay all the money to swap it into a datsun is a different story. There is a host of better options. Any engine can be MADE to perform but you have to weigh it out. Out of the box the cost vs performance is not good, nor is the build cost vs performance.

Idk how you could compare it to a l28 with a 40yo design either, the only thing they have in common is they are engines lol.

I'm not arguing or anything thats just my point of view. Everyone has their own taste and I actually like the motor, its just the numbers don't crunch at all.

Yeah you are probably right, wouldn't be worth it. Might be someday. Ideally it would be nice if Nissan would come out with a QR25DET or something (doesn't need to be that big) in a new Silvia or something. But that probably will never happen.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DatsuNoob

Whatever you do, dont buy from Gundie's. They suck. They make promises and agreements they cant hold themselves to. They told me they'd get me a new crank pulley, exhaust manifold, and some wiring, to replace the damaged ones on my motor, then gave me the run-around until my "warranty" ran out, leaving me SOL. Originally I bought from them because I believe in buying local, and they gave me free delivery, but I'd be more apt to purchase from a mom n pop yard with an engine test stand, or a low mileage jap engine vendor if I was to buy another motor.

At least Nissan finally figured out they didn't need 2 different blocks.

The QR25 block is the same FWD or RWD.

Also the head works pretty good (better than an SR20DE), but the long stroke kills high RPM reliability.

I had a conversation with the folks at Nissan Comp, their SCCA World Challenge effort done thru Real Time Racing kept busting rods and pistons because of the stroke and high piston travel speeds.

They are/were used in off shore markets as 2.0L only difference is crank stroke. I'd bet a 2.0L turboed would be a good option.

So your saying that the car 2L bock would bolt up to the 2.5L truck trans? I think it would be fun to do the swap. Just for the challenge! :D There are a few things I don't like about the engine, open water jackets like Honda engines, huge stroke, and balance bar. From a distance the KA seems like it wouldn't be a good engine either.