Will a 1.5 a-series fit into a 620 truck?

PREACHPRO

I have a 1974 620 pickup , i want to know will a 1.5 datsun engine fit in my truck?i know it is a smaller engine than the 1.8 but it is the only one i could find.

It came out of a datsun car i think,what kind i don't know.

Please let me know before i buy this engine

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the L series L16 (which is 1.6L) should be just fine

it cant be the A series engines....

this is what the L series engines look like,

ebay-lrg.jpg

all look identical, tho the l16 and l18 are a little shorter then the l20 so the chain is different etc...

This is the A series engines,

engine.jpg

Dont pay any attention to the carb setup really, its not important for what your asking

What you need to look ad is the engine, the valve cover is a major give away, also the A series engines have the distributor on the passenger side and the L series has it in front on the driver side.

Edited by h2theizzo

I would say it will fit just fine. Its physically smaller.

It wont' bolt in though because of the different engine mounts and need for a different transmission. Finding an L-series engine, even a 1.6L L16 would make the intall much easier.

As Bleach says. So much needs to change you might as well swap a Honda/Toyota/Mazda... whatever in there. .... wait...no. Get a newer Nissan 4cyl and tranny. A 720 truck 4cyl. Z series motor will fit including the D-21 Hardbody to '90. Get one from a 2wd. I have a Z24 in my 620.

Yeh but I'd be really surprised if he's asking about an L-15, probably an A series if he says it from a car.

Just find another L-16-18-20 from someone, because as mentioned already you'll end up having to make all the mounts, engine and transmission, to throw in an A series. Way too much work only to end up with a *smaller* engine.

Will a 1.5 a-series fit into a 620 truck?
Yes a 1.5 A-series engine will fit with plenty of room. In fact I've heard of it being done before. But it is not bolt in. You'd have to faricate mounts, linkage, and driveshaft.

A J15 Datun engine would fit using factory parts. That 620s in Japan use the J15 engine.

Let me give some info here.

He posted this off-topic in another thread so I moved it. He only said it was a 1.5L, I made an assumption and put a-series to help out his title description.

I could be wrong. I forgot about the J15

either way, I think my original answer still stands. Any 4-cyl L-series will be way easier if you're looking to just throw in a running engine.

Thanks for all the imput.i just wanted to ask the question because no one knew around here.i'm going to get an engine out of a 77' 620 pickup.

It would be way too much trouble to do all those steps.i just need a carb for the motor and they cost so much

again thanx for info

Oh and the 1.5l was an a series engine,totally different from what i really needed.i actually have an engine in my truck now.the original 1.8l but the head is messed up.someone ran it hot so i just thought i'll get another motor.

I suppose i could rebuild it but i'm buying the engine out of the 1977 dat pickup for $200.00 and it just needs a carb.