Where are the inner seals on a 521 axle?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

most time the innser seals wear out.Thats wear most leaks are from the oil getting past that seal.

The outter seal as stated you will need ot pull the bearing off.Pain in the ass. Do the inner first.

Pry it out then install the new one . Some use the flat end of soft hammer or 2X4 wood and put some grease on the outer edge to help it slid on and grease the inner lips

Put axle back in straight as possible and engage the splines so you dont have to rest the axle on the seal and ruin it. I did but still worked OK

ok the seal on the axle shaft.... I had the axles coverted to 4lug and they had to take apart the axles when they did it. After i got them back i noticed that after i installed the shaft back on the housing and bolted the 4bolts back on. "if you pull the hub",there was some play in the axle shaft. I took apart the shafts again but i didnt notice anything wrong. "but i never noticed a seal on the shaft" maybe thats were the play is.....

does anyone have a pic of the seal on the shaft?

ok the seal on the axle shaft.... I had the axles coverted to 4lug and they had to take apart the axles when they did it. After i got them back i noticed that after i installed the shaft back on the housing and bolted the 4bolts back on. "if you pull the hub",there was some play in the axle shaft. I took apart the shafts again but i didnt notice anything wrong. "but i never noticed a seal on the shaft" maybe thats were the play is.....

I don't know if I can help, but I had my 521 axle completely apart to replace the wheel bearings, and inner and outer seals on both sides. It's been a while, but I just looked in the manual again.

Like Hainz said, the outer seal (and wheel bearing) are a pain to replace. You have to get the inner race off the axle, and without the special tools to do this, there isn't much to pull on. You need a puller with really long arms to reach from the end of the axle to the lip of the inner race.

Anyway, the only way I know of to adjust the bearing tension (and in your case play) is by selecting the right combination of shims to get the proper thickness. This is very fine adjustment though. It should just affect how easily the bearing turns. I don't think the wrong shims would be enough to result in significant play. Maybe though?

The first thing I would check is the four studs the hold the bearing holder onto the end of the axle housing. If there is a small gap at the flange, they ar not completey tight, and would result in end play. Other than that, I think you would need to replace a VERY worn bearing, or remove shims to take out the play.

I forgot to mention that I don't think the seals will have an affect on the end play you mentioned. They are just there to keep the gear oil in the axle (inner seal), and the bearing grease in the wheel bearing cavity(inner and outer seals). You should be able to have a nice tight smooth running axle even if you had no seals (until all your grease leaked out :) ) The seals don't support the axle in any way. They just hold lubricants in.

Have you installed both axles at the same time yet? Both axle shafts have to be installed to check for that endplay that you describe.

Ok first let me say thanks for the many replies......

Now the tension on the end of the axle is more than 1/32 as ggzilla stated

and yes the bearing is all the way in and the 4 bolts are tightend all the way and this is after removing some of the shims on the hub. With more shims there was even more play.

When i took the axles apart a month ago, i inspected the bearing and there was really nothing wrong with it, i think we even took of the race to see if there was anything wrong with it also. but it was fine.

i know i didnt see no seal on the axle, i thought with all the "play" i had on the end of the axle, i thought i was missing something in there "I thought the machine shop forgot a washer or spacer" thats why i took it apart to see for myself. but everything was there and everything looked fine.

I noticed with the less shims i used the less play i had. so i only used 1 shim on each end.

does anyone have a pic from the manual as to what the seal looks like installed on the axle shaft.

The seals are not installed on the axle shaft. They are in the axle housing.

19506.jpg

The shims are for end-play (4 to 18 thousands) not for up/down (axial) play. Axial play is not adjustable. Even if you leave seal out, it wont' affect end-play. If there is too much end-play, the bearings were not pressed on to the corrrect depth.

Edited by ggzilla

...i think we even took of the race to see if there was anything wrong with it also.

Just edited this: I didn't notice that ggzilla just mentioned bearing seating on the end of his post.

Also, there is a spacer that goes on the axle before you press on the inner bearing race. The hole in the spacer is radiused on one side, and square on the other. If you put it in backwards, it will not seat properly, and cause the play you are describing... At least that's the way I remember it :D

Edited by 72wagun

ok guys thanks again for your help guys,

I just took it all apart, and installed the seal on the housing , and then took apart the axle shaft to get to the seal behind the bearing, fairly eazy job to do, EXCEPT for the fact that i bought the seals from autozone and the seal behind the bearing is to big. i called every local autoparts and they all come up with the same part# Timken 1974.

So now i have to wait to order the correct seal# 40227-32201 from the dealer on monday.

hopefully they can still order them....

if anyone needs pics let me know.

You just reminded me of how much trouble I had with seals for my 521. I can't remember which seal it was, but one of them they could not get right.

Luckily, I took the old one in with me. When they would brind one out, I'd compare it to the one I pulled out, and tell them to try again:) For that seal, they ended up selecting a replacement based on dimensions. One of the guys behind the counter happened to be pretty sharp, and that finally worked.

i just tried napa, they say they can order them all, so will see in a week when they get the seals and brgs in..... i'll keep you guys posted.

In a week?? Holy shit, around here parts are almost always available the next morning by 8:00am.