XeroX - Makin' Progress!

WagDatto

XeroX, AKA Kelly had his clutch go out on him a while back, as well as a riddle of other problems coming in at the same time. The headers developed a leak, and he found some rot down in the floor boards (typical!) that were covered up by dynamat. Bummer!

After he installed the new fidanza flywheel and exedy clutch/pressure plate, it was time to reinstall the transmission. I offered a hand, grabbed the camera and we got to work!

Kelly thinking about doing work:

IMG_1357.jpg

Trying to reach "That Last Damned Tranny Bolt" (universal term, I think!)

IMG_1358.jpg

Me saying hi, bolting in the slave cylinder:

IMG_1359.jpg

Ride height compared to my wagon:

IMG_1361.jpg

Starter reinstall:

IMG_1362.jpg

Oops! Then disaster. After a fairly clean install on the transmission, crossmember, slave cylinder, etc, we went to pull the extenda-lite out from under the car, and saw that I had bolted it into the car with the slave cylinder! Rather than uninstall the slave, we disassembled the light to get it out!

IMG_1364.jpg

OOPS!! All in all, though, a good way to waste a few hours and talk cars. It was my first big-boy drive in his rear-turbo Maxima, too, and it's weird riding in a car that's quiet, smooth, quick, smells nice, rides nice, is appropriate ride height, doesn't bang or rub over bumps, etc, etc.... I'm used to my Datsun!!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the RIPS Z car... RB30 @ 10k rpm, running 8's and a HUGE turbo sticking out the hood. Pure sex.

Like I told Kelly, I'd love to build an RB30/26 hybrid and push like 30psi just because. I dont care if I START spooling at like 4k rpms, I'd love the unpredictable tire spin.

lol that light getting trapped in there was funny....i thought we were gona have to take off the stupid slave cyl again to free the lamp....that goes up there with some of the more interesting things to happe in my garage haha...

i think casey volunteered to take my driveshaft to the place today to have the new u joint pressed on....so that might be done sooner than expected....

Pics of said turbo Maxima? Sounds pretty sweet!

Okay well here are some pics of the Rear mounted turbo, please disregard the partial ghettoness, these are NOT updated pics...these are for u to get the idea of the general design.

PIC-0184.jpg

I am no longer using that long black tube for the filter, it was ghetto as fuck and was giving me crazy turbulence...

PIC-0185.jpg

Here is the piping routing BACk to the TB. I am running no intercooler right now (low boost at 6-7psi) the pipiing in itself acts as an intercooler since its so long...

car.jpg

Here a sexy shot of the 97 front end conversion with the custom eyelids i was a tester for.

HINback.jpg

Here is an HDR pic of the booty at HIN (06 or 07 i cant member...)

I have WAY too many mods to list, but you get the idea :)

On that slave, I hope you have the big nut on the rod adjuster behind it? It looks like the rod is sticking through the clutch fork, which is fine if there's the big nut thing behind it, otherwise it may wear through. But you probably know this. :)

On that slave, I hope you have the big nut on the rod adjuster behind it? It looks like the rod is sticking through the clutch fork, which is fine if there's the big nut thing behind it, otherwise it may wear through. But you probably know this. :)

Its a big rounded looking nut thats on the end of that "rod" , i just kept the one that was previously used by the other slave cyl. The new one didnt have threads to put a nut on the end...it was wierd...

I love the Maxima, it probably makes alot of people wonder what just happened when you walk away from them. I also love your dime, I don't see very many that are shiny black.

Yea, honestly thats one of the only reasons i even started fixing up the maxima...the VQ is a GREAT platform, and its a real sleeper :lol:

i have 170k miles on the motor in there right now 90k miles of HARD driving, and its running strong! boost isnt breaking stuff yet! hehe