'69 521

I figured I'd better start a new thread for this project, rather than continuing on in the pics thread, for two reasons: one, to get your input and ideas, and two, to make sure I get off my ass and work on it. There's nothing more motivating than being bugged for new photos! As I've said, I brought it home in the spring, but didn't do anything with it until last month, when I stripped it and put the cab on a dolly. This photo makes me want to do something different with the turn signals - does anyone know how five2one did his? He came over and took a window regulator out of my old parts truck a few months ago, and I should have asked him then.

440-4027_IMG.jpg

Actually, the first thing I did was replace the core support. I found one on craigslist that had already been cut off (kind of irregularly, but oh well), cut my front end to match, and welded it on. If you do this, get a good body saw. I tried a Harbor Freight saw, and the piece of crap stalled when it wasn't even cutting anything. Then I got this one:

439-3926_IMG.jpg

and life has been good ever since (unless you're my next door neighbor; cutting sheetmetal is LOUD!). So, on to replacing the core support. Step one, find a replacement, and give some thought to where you're cutting. When in doubt, leave extra material. Cut along a line that'll be easy to duplicate on both pieces. Before you cut anything off the project truck, brace the front end sheetmetal to keep everything aligned. The photo shows the bracing after I cut the support off, because that's the only photo I took that shows it all clearly. Those x-braces are welded together in the center.

439-3927_IMG.jpg

When bolting the donor support to the frame, don't use the original rubber spacers. Use washers, to keep everything rigid and where you want it. Use whatever combination you need to line things up properly.

439-3932_IMG.jpg

Once it was bolted on, I used vise grip c-clamps wherever I could to hold the two sides together, taking measurements to ensure both sides were the same as each other and my other truck. Don't have another truck? Measure first! After clamping the two halves together, I ran the body saw down the seam, and ended up with a close-fitting joint that was fairly easy to weld, in spite of how thin the sheetmetal is. I burned through a few times, but I didn't expect it to be perfect. The goober near the top of the last photo is a relic of where the guy I bought the support from cut it off with a torch. It wasn't a problem, but I'd recommend a saw or plasma cutter.

439-3925_IMG.jpg

439-3931_IMG.jpg

That's pretty much it. Grind the welds flat (without grinding the sheetmetal too thin!), put some filler and primer on there, and you're done.

In other news, the Nismo wheels arrived today, and they're beautiful. The lug nuts aren't going to be as big a pain as I feared - they're normal, so no big deal. And the logos come off - they're just die-cut vinyl stickers. Has anyone got any tire suggestions for a 16x7 wheel? The truck won't be lowered more than a couple inches, if at all.

Andrew

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that looks like a pretty damn clean line to weld up. and i've already noted what a great idea it was to put the cab on that dolly while you're working on everything. i don't know exactly what mm but personally i'm going to keep fat tires on the back of my 521 and run the skinniest tire i can up front just for ease of turning the wheel. well maybe not the skinniest i can... but mine are the slot mags which are 14x6 and i will be probably running a 185 in the rear and a 155 or maybe 145 up front, not sure about the sidewall... nothing too tiny. personally i prefer function over form, it may look funny to run a skinnier tire up front, but it'll sure make it easier to turn the wheel when you're going to park or something.

Sure wish I had more time to keep up on all these threads!! Awesome work Andrew!!!! I work days now, so give me a shout if you need a second hand in the evening :)

Thanks for starting the thread! I love seeing pics of your work!!