What year straight front axle trucks? Ol Skool Dreamin'

Hey you experts, did the late 50's early 60's trucks ever have a straight front axle?

Just curious. Always toying with the idea of trying to make a fenderless ol skool datto, and something about a straight axle seems to fit the vibe more.

Be cool to put one of those JDM crown v8 hemi's in it too!

I wish i could find a VERY VERY early datto to rod out. Alas, they are rare as hens teeth even in Japan where they crushed a lot of stuff to save real estate.

You know, they did copy the American Graham-Paige. If I could find one one of those, that would be almost a legit JDM hotrod.

015_70_sedan.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The L211 was the newest car and the PLG222 was the newest truck to have a straight axle. I replaced mine with a custom made MII because it was too messed up to repair right. Some years ago there was 3 thirties Datsuns on Ebay. Only showed 2 and the 3rd was a parts car. They didn't sell, bidding stopped at like 12G. I about cried I wanted them so bad. Sucks not being wealthy.

Some years ago there was 3 thirties Datsuns on Ebay. Only showed 2 and the 3rd was a parts car. They didn't sell, bidding stopped at like 12G. I about cried I wanted them so bad. Sucks not being wealthy.

Thanks Purple! I am crying now just reading your retelling! A while back I ran across an add for a very early nissan firetruck in the states. But my memory is foggy on it.

GG I should have said 'produce' rather than 'copy'. I stand corrected. I got the info from the same place:)! The cool thing is the fact that it was a legit deal would make it an even cooler jdm inspired sort of rod.

i find it funny (for many reasons) that the ol skool crowd slams on the Japanese stuff as anti american. Especially since not only did Graham-paige sell the plans to Japan in 37, but Kaiser-Frazer's sold the Henry J to Suzuki in '51 from what I've read. (Though it is noted that Kaiser was related to Graham Paige too. But a lot of years separate those deals.)

It is a tangled web indeed.

Fisch, when I start working on my 59 you can have the front beam if you want it. I'm going to convert it to independent in the front (just because it's going to have to be LOW) You have to come pick it up though :D

Dude Jeff! I might just have to take you up on that! You never know!

So I can't find any info or pics on what those '58-'59 straight axels look like. How do they work? Leaf springs? If so is it one on each side or one central one? They're not a wish bone set up are they? Hows the steering set up?

I actually met a local guy who had a 58 or 59 about 2 years ago. I never saw it as he said it was rusted out. It's been 2 years, but I wrote him to see if he still has it.

I need some pics! Jeff next time you are standing next to teh 59 with the iphone, would you snap some pics? Purple, do you remember what the set up was before you pulled it?

I still have it. MIne is slightly bent, one spindle needs built up and turned, and it has a BADLY done brake conversion. Stock is parallel leafs.

FrontClip.jpg

The last year was 61 for straight axle. Also 61 was first year for IFS. 222 truck last and 223 truck first. Same body for those trucks.