521 ute Aussie style

This is my recent Datsun purchase, it's a 1970 Datsun 521 tray top ute.

Athough in need of a little TLC am trying to restore and keep to as original as possible.

It has the original J13 engine and 4 speen colum shift. When purchased was only running on 3 cylinders, bottom seat was heavily torn and pieces of foam mssing, some piece of s#*t radio, steering wheel cover glued to the steering wheel, house carpet in 3 different colours on the floor of the cab, carpet glued to the underside of the bonnet/hood and numerous other places, and old faded trailer lights used at the rear. When spoke to owner was told all in good original condition so was a little disappointed when i picked it up from the transport depo. as car was purchase 2500 kms away(1550 miles).

Since buying the ute i've had the head reconditioned, seat reupholstered, removed all carpet, new tail lights, changed the diff gear ratio from the original 4.88 to 3.9 as it will be more of a cruiser now and not the work horse these are made to be, and just a general clean up. Only left to get is an original steering wheel as mine fell apart as i pulled of the steering wheel cover that was glued on, ash tray lid, window winders/crank handles, and eiher an original radio or blanking plate.

1300ute.jpg

P3210230.jpg

P3210239.jpg

P3210242.jpg

P3210232.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love those front parking lights!! Wonder where I can get a pair in the U.S.

Here is an ebay link to the parkers like mine if interested, i don't think these ones are genuine nissan though.

[url=]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-520-521-pickup-truck-parking-signal-lights-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a4Q7c65Q3a1Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem180225349874QQitemZ180225349874QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories[/url]

If anyone has any spares of these parts and willing to post to Australia would be great. Obviously i will pay shipping costs and if you have a paypal account i can pay you instantly through that.

Steering wheel, ash tray lid, window winders/crank handles, fuse box cover, and either an original radio or blanking plate.

i would hump a kooala bear for that dash pad, not one crack..is this pic dated that thing is fawkin sweet. looks fresh off the lot

That almost sounds like a fair trade jrock, :lol: the things we're willing to do for datsun parts. :D A mate and i are driving 2800kms (1750 miles) to pick up a door for my other datsun(SP310) although he has to pick up a car also.

The dash has been retrimed, not sure when as i have only had the ute for about a month now.

The engine is back together and runs beautiful, the seat is back together, did try and get the colour as close as possible but there is a slight difference. Now just need to finish the rest of the little bits give it a cut and polish and should look pretty sweet. :thumbsup:

P4130232.jpg

P4130231.jpg

P4130230.jpg

P4130228.jpg

Guest jaimesix

Very cool.

Love that detail. That J series looks immaculate. Nothing more refreshing than a cool Datsun motor that receives respect and attention.

That interior is excelent.

Congratulations .

Jaime.___________________________________________________

• 1 month later...

The carpet is in, steering wheel done, and new tail lights there is only a few little pieces left to go.

That will be left for someone else to find, as of today the ute has a new owner, a girl who loved it as soon as she saw it, so i'm glad it's going to someone who will apprecciate it.

CopyofP6030342.jpg

CopyofP6040344.jpg

CopyofP6040343.jpg