exhaust leak

sdsurf

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's just a small hole, you can patch it with some fiberglass resin.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accessoriesShelf.jsp?categoryDisplayName=Repair+and+Lift&fromType=accessories&fromString=search&parentId=cat10036&filterByKeyWord=fiberglass&currentPage=1&navValue=101112&categoryNValue=100043&fromWhere=&subPartId=prod11968&itemId=prod11968&displayName=Fiberglass+Material

Even if it is a larger hole, you can wrap a sheet of fiberglass around the hole before you apply the filler.

I'm pretty sure it would withstand the heat...

I tried JB weld to fix a leak on a down pipe before...didnt last long. Where is it leaking from?

Ya I can attest to that, I tried JB, metal epoxy and liquid steel on a leak I couldn't reach with the welder. When It fully sets it gets brittle and the vibration just breaks it all apart.

I eventually just cut it and used a slip coupling and clamps.

If it's just a small hole, you can patch it with some fiberglass resin.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accessoriesShelf.jsp?categoryDisplayName=Repair+and+Lift&fromType=accessories&fromString=search&parentId=cat10036&filterByKeyWord=fiberglass&currentPage=1&navValue=101112&categoryNValue=100043&fromWhere=&subPartId=prod11968&itemId=prod11968&displayName=Fiberglass+Material

Even if it is a larger hole, you can wrap a sheet of fiberglass around the hole before you apply the filler.

I'm pretty sure it would withstand the heat...

I wouldn't try this, resin is highly flammable... Even in mixing catalyst you can kick it off...

The only way to fix an exhaust leak is to do it right. Chances are that if its original equipment then its all rotten as hell. Save up the money and get it all done at a pro exhaust shop. The exhaust heat will destroy anything thats not actual metal and it is not good to pump those gases into the cab. Could kill ya. If you whine enough that you cant afford it a good shop would weld it up for you for next to nothing if its possible. At least get it up on a lift to see what it all looks like.

lol FIBERGLASS RESIN now ive heard it all. At that point you might as well wrap it with some asbestos rags and drip melted plastic over it for sealing. For the final touch cover it with melted lead.

come on man theres a ghetto fix then theres just plain WTF.

go buy a harbor freight wire feed welder and start welding.