Is this a Carb problem???

On_3

I got another question though.... on my 521, when i accelerate, my truck bogs down before it picks up. after it picks up, it fine... could this be a carb problem?

Edited by On_3
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I say get a timming light

time the motor.

open up the aircleaner and see if you see gas squirting in there when you cycles the gas linkage in back of carb. It will look like a stream if gas. This will be from the accellerator pump on the carb.. You cycle it 3 times it should squirt 3 times. If not the accell pump is bad(has hole in it or the arm pusshin it is fucked.needs adustment if it can be adjusted

olddatsuns.com is a good site to ck out for datsun stuff(save it)

Edited by banzai510(hainz)

i know that in my kit car, it bogs down then just cuts off. then i pull to the side then turn it back on and its fine sometimes. i dont know what wrong with it. anyone? and before it just dies, it sputters it last sentence then just stop midway. it sucks!

If this happens when rounding a corner in town while in second gear at low speed and you step on it and it 'falls on it's face' stutters a bit then clears out and goes. Likely needs a new accelerator pump as Hainz said.

Get a good quality carb re-build kit and... rebuild it. At most, a morning to do including taking off and on. Need carb cleaner, bowl, paper towels, can of WD-40 with the red straw! to blow out the inner passages, needle nose pliers, 12mm spanner or socket, Phillips screw drivers, flat screw drivers, Q-tips, old tooth brush, clear (lots of room) counter top or table with cloth cover to keep small parts from rolling off.

First: read the instructions!

Second: read the instructions!

If you have a digital camera take pictures of the tear down.

If this happens at higher speeds it could be another problem (dirt, partially blocked jet?) that re-building will fix anyway.

Edited by datzenmike