SU carbs with cable throttle?

Comfort Eagle

Hey guys,

I am not sure this should be in this forum,or another technical forum,but here goes anyway. On my 78 Datsun 510 I am sort of tiring of the factory Hitachi carb. I bought a set of SU's,and the intake for the car,and now I need to figure out a way to make them work with the throttle cable instead of the linkage throttle they had on a older 510,or other car that they came off. I am sure I am not blazing a trail here,but I have not received any solid answers as to how this is done,and if I need to get a new throttle cable to make this work. Any help on this would be appreciated,and even better if you have pics of how you did it,or have seen it done in the past. Thanks,

Chris

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The carbs I am getting are the Hitachi built SU knock offs from a Datsun. They have a linkage style throttle on them. I have heard that some of these carbs have the cable type throttle,but these ones do not,and i have yet to see a pic of how the ones with the cable throttle look,so I cannot figure out what is my best way to do this. My car does indeed have a throttle cable with the barrel end.

Chris

The carbs I am getting are the Hitachi built SU knock offs from a Datsun. They have a linkage style throttle on them. I have heard that some of these carbs have the cable type throttle,but these ones do not,and i have yet to see a pic of how the ones with the cable throttle look,so I cannot figure out what is my best way to do this. My car does indeed have a throttle cable with the barrel end.

Chris

If the SU set you are getting is from a RL411 or early 510 with the British Borg Warner automatic transmission, you are in luck. These SUs come with a "cam" with a cable end fitting to connect to the transmission mechanical shift. It works off the accelerator shaft. Connect "in reverse" and your accel cable will work just fine.

He's getting twin Hitachis, not SUs. They are probably for a 510 since they have mechanical linkage.

Comfort Eagle, you can see a photo of the cable-type linkage by clicking this photo. It's exactly the same type of fitting as with the single Hitachi. You may be able to adapt the single one to the twins somehow. We do the same thing on Weber downdrafts.

5706.jpg

Edited by ggzilla
He's getting twin Hitachis, not SUs. They are probably for a 510 since they have mechanical linkage.

5706.jpg

The RL411 also had the mechanical linkage, but it was slightly different from the 510 version. No split accel shaft wit an adjuster to time the front and rear carb pistons, it had a solid accel shaft, you [or rather I] had to manually tweak the individual carbs to get proper front to rear timing.