Thinkin bout switching engines

ronnie93212

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i would look into gearing not a motor swap. my little L16 at 60 with a 4spd turns 4k. now if i went 5spd i could drop that down a notch or two. and if i changed the rear gears from 4.3something to 3.90 it would help even that much more. if you just swap motors you will be in the same boat. a motor that is turning 3-4000 RPM at freeway speeds. the motor is not the issue its the gears.

the L20 is a great motor from what i hear so i would just stick with that and go Z 5speed trans and higher rear gears if possible.

Ya I agree with gearing, lots of tranny options to get better cruising. If you still want more maybe build a 2.4, still a bolt in affair but you gain the .4.

Any kind of upgrade/swap beyond the L-series is going to be pretty involved. KA24E is a very good candidate. They're inexpensive and plentiful. A complete engine/trans/wiring/ECU shouldn't run more then $400. If you're going to have a shop perform the work, uhhhhh..........mmmmmm.....maybe $2000-3000?

[ice, does that sound about right?]

Anyway, search the forum threads (before you get flamed) and take lots of notes. Quite a few of us have knowledge on KA's in 620's.

-Brian

It's an inline 6 and although any engine can be made to work IN THEORY an inline 6 in that truck its ridiculous.... You can build a 2.4L thats an inline 4 not a inline 6 like from the s30, so it remains bolt in and fairly strait forward. Idk if me suggesting that confused you.

well my l20b engine that i got in my 620 isnt cutting it what would be a good engine to put in there? And does anyone have one for sale? thanks :)

well just cruising dont want the rpms running to high like highway dont want it to be all wound up going only 70

Too bad your signature isn't filled out so we know what year truck you have. Did it come stock with an L20B? Do you have a 4 or 5spd?

Changing the motor won't change the RPMs on the highway at 70. A V8 will rev the same. If you want lower RPMs you can do two things:

1/ Change the rear end ratio to a 4:11 or 3:889. The problem with this is that performance and acceleration will suffer. OR

2/ If it's a '75 or newer and has a 4spd, it would make sense to put a 5spd in it. This would change nothing in the first 4 gears (no change in performance) but would lower the 5th gear RPMs on the highway by about 80%.

Lowering RPMs and increased performance don't mix very well. Make a decision.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=848

A 305 would be the same work but a little easier on everyone and everything. Now you could swap a 3:70 or 3:889 diff in to keep the revs down. The 305 would have over twice the L20Bs torque so you wouldn't notice lowering the gears.

An L20b can produce some decent power to play with. The block is strong as hell and a nicely counter weighted crank. Do you have any exhaust upgrades? Intake upgrades? What head? All of these can bump it up substantially. 2-2 1/4" pipe into a performane muffler. Remove all emissions equipment. Get older style exhaust manifold or header. Throw old hitachi carburettor on the shelf and install a weber dgv or dges. All of these things should make a noticeable difference. Spend some more $$ and upgrade the camshaft too. But if you just gotta change it do a ka24 from a nissan pickup. Too much work to stuff in the car motor I hear.

But if you just gotta change it do a ka24 from a nissan pickup. Too much work to stuff in the car motor I hear.

I think that's kind of odd to say. Since ALL datsun trucks came with a 4 cylinder stock. Just about every I4 in a datsun truck comes in a car as well no?

So that said, the strongest, most efficient, most powerful, plentiful gas I4 nissan has available in this country seems worth the work to me.

Here's another:http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=6953

Now do you really want to go this route?

True, the L20B is virtually impossible to blow up because it was designed in an age when it was common to build in extra strength far above what was needed. Long as they have water and oil in them you can't hurt them.

A KA is good for at least a 50% increase in power, fits with m/mount mods, not near as heavy as a SBC so won't wreck the handling, better on gas and tons, I mean TONS of after market equipment, s/c, turbo, cams you name it.

VG30 would also be interesting and weighs about the same as a KA I believe. From 170 hp and up, way over 200hp with turbo.

The drive shaft should be shortened, tranny mount prob modified, move the shifter hole back a few inches. The FS5W71C is a much stronger tranny but you could use a Z series tranny ('80-'83 200sx or '81-'86.5 720) and you would not have to change anything to fit it into the 620.