L series 5 speed needed

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in need of a dogleg or Z 5 speed. I need it to bolt to my L20B. Any help finding one would be much appreciated. THANKS

The dogleg ('77-'79 200sx) is 26" long. The Z car 5spd is 31.5" long. The '79-early'80 HLA10 had an optional 26" short tail dogleg.

one of the trannys in my Pile-o-parts is a mystery L series Z car trans, its a slight possibility it could be a 5 speed. I can check next time Im out there.

No sense getting dirty. You can tell just by looking at the area just in front of the shifter. If it is a 4 spd it will have a cover plate with 6 bolts and a vent on it. like this:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/transF4W71Blongtail1.jpg[/img]"]transF4W71Blongtail1.jpg

Edited by datzenmike

Skib, seriously.... the more you learn, the more you realize that there is so much more you don't know yet.

I have never learned why there is a variable dimmer switch for the 620 dash lights. Now if Nigel Tufnel had worked for Nissan back in the 70s the dimmer would have gone to 11. :D

Edited by datzenmike

One in good shape $100-$150. Depends how desperate you are I guess. Do you know what year it is? Later zx ones had a monster over drive in them.

I been good, the real question is how have you been recovering?

Mike, there's 2 varieties of the 63-series Dogleg though. The Short-tail variety, used in the '77-79 200SX and '78-81 510 (of which there are L and Z-series variants) and the longtail variety that was apparently used in the early 810. Dave had the long version.

I've yanked enough transmissions out of 78-81 510s to know they're ALL short-tail. Putting a longtail in would require redesigning the console and the floor, which they didn't do. And I have a Dogleg, NAPS-Z 63A 5-speed from an 80-81 510 (it's short, just like the L-series one sitting next to it).

Much like there was a longtail 4-speed 63-series used in the 610 (I think). There were 2 generations of 63-series 4-speeds- the F4W63, used from 1966-1975, and the F4W63L used from '74-81. (the overlap may or may not be correct- depends on which transmissions the 610 and 710 used when they had L20Bs) The big difference between the 2 is the mount location and the side that the speedometer cog is taken from, as well as somewhat obvious case design differences (the external "waffle" ribbing is more pronounced on the earlier variant) though both have square, removable bottom covers.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.