New guy needs help with a 68

onedayjake

The 510 I bought has most of the interior pulled apart as the PO was going to do a restoration. I started putting the dash back together and I don't know exactly what switches go into what openings in the lower dash. I was hoping someone could take a picture or two of their dash or list off the switches from left to right. Also I was wondering if the plate that is missing off of the left strut tower would have the VIN number on it. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry apperantly I've gone over my limit in photobucket...here's the pic.

From left to right:

2 pull know switches:

Wipers

Lights

3 Pull down levers

Fan on/off

Heat

Def/Room

dasha.jpg

Edited by 71DIMER
  • 2 weeks later...

This is the same dash we got up here, north of the 49th in all our 68's. I was of the impression that all American landed 68 510's had this style dash...please correct me if I'm wrong.

Byron

Sorry apperantly I've gone over my limit in photobucket...here's the pic.

From left to right:

2 pull know switches:

Wipers

Lights

3 Pull down levers

Fan on/off

Heat

Def/Room

dasha.jpg

DSCN4302 (Medium)_thumb.jpg

Edited by Byron510

Yeah 69dimer your dash is the "69" US style, why it is there who really knows :D I try and memorize all the odd things I see in the different years but it's basically impossible.

My 68 dash looks like the one in Byron's photo.

Yeah u guys are right...looks to be a 69 all the way around (the dash that is)...well I'm glad it's all hooked up correctly and all the switches and heater controls all work right. :)

Yeah u guys are right...looks to be a 69 all the way around (the dash that is)...well I'm glad it's all hooked up correctly and all the switches and heater controls all work right. :)

Does the dash have a matching vin plate? 68's didn't have them in the dash, maybe yours came that way... All I know is I love that wagoon!!! I so wanted to buy it, stupid being really far away!! I'm glad it went to a good home though :D

Does the dash have a matching vin plate? 68's didn't have them in the dash, maybe yours came that way... All I know is I love that wagoon!!! I so wanted to buy it, stupid being really far away!! I'm glad it went to a good home though :D

Good question Ice I will check tomorrow when I see it (it's at work...secured parking for free :) ) and thanks, I'm slowly cleaning it up...I've been behind on posting pics on its thread but will do so soon.

• 1 month later...
Well i took a look at it today but there's no VIN anywhere on the dash, unless I'm not looking at the right spot. :P

No, you didn't miss the VIN, it was never there on the 68's, and there wasn't a plate on the door jam either....

Best way I figured out how to identify how old the car was is by the seatbelt tags. They are also dated on what month they were produced and I've found them to be within one month of the date of manufacture on the later 510's....

Byron

Another odd thing is that another friend of mine just got a 1968 rhd 4 door 510, stock as can be with an L13 and it has the same exact dash as mine (well granted that the steering wheel and glove box are on opposite ends) but still same as my dash...seems kind of strange that there would be so many swapped out dashes or that maybe it varied by month of production that they switched to a different dash?

When I get a chance

Will compile the differences on 68 and 69 dash since I got both of them.

Some even came with the "check brake" button and the USDM rare clock

Derek sold his 68 SSS cluster gauge for around $800 I believe a year ago.

And there's one more that I know of for $1000 in Australia

Can dig up his info if your ready to spend that kind of money

Wow, I didn't know they made them with a three on the tree! How is the linkage run? Do you have any pics of the inside?

Here are some pics of the linkage.

I just got the rubber floor mat for the car this evening - I'll post a pic later.

Note on the carb -it has only one vent tube!! Another oddball L13 item!

Byron

DSCN7140 (Medium)_thumb.jpg

DSCN7150 (Medium)_thumb.jpg

DSCN7157 (Medium)_thumb.jpg