Crashed My 77 620

Suspect

Last Friday I was on my way to work, in a 50mph zone 5 lane road in the right lane. A Chevy Tahoe from the left lane moved in front of me in my lane and just after he did, he had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting him. The truck stopped so fast, my Datsun's iffy drum brakes had no chance. I probably hit him at 35ish right on his reese hitch. I almost cried after it happened. Of course I got the ticket, cops took 1.5 hrs to get there and made me late for work, and I end up with a broke Datsun.

77DatsunCrash1.jpg

77DatsunCrash2.jpg

The damage was the front bumper, inner core support, bottom radiator hose, radiator cage broke off, cracked the grille, and dinged the end of the fender.

77DatsunCrash4.jpg

This is my repair job. I hooked my truck to our satellite dish, and to my dads full size chevy truck. We pulled the bend out and re weilded the tears in the medal.

77DatsunCrashRepair1.jpg

77DatsunCrashRepair15.jpg

So I crashed the truck Friday on my way to work, drove it home with a rigged bottom radiator hose, drove it to work and back again, and fixed it Saturday afternoon. I didn't have a real good front bumper, just the one that came off my 74, but it was better than the origional one. This is what it looks like now.

77datafterrepair.jpg

77datafterrepair.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So far so good, my Datsun hasn't missed a beat. Ran into a Tahoe, finished the trip to work, drove home, back to work, back home, straightened it up a little, drove another 60 miles for no reason, gave it a bath, and to work and back again. Its 33 miles to work one way, so since the crash its been about 215 miles. This is by far the best Datsun 620 running wize that I ever owned. I put 30,000 miles on it after I bought it for $710. It had wiring issues, ground issues, brake issues (obviously still does), and some rust issues. The head gasket blew after I towed a 69 Datsun 521 450 miles to Kentucky and towed a 75 Datsun 620 450 miles back home. I sent the head in to get resurfaced, and put it back together. That costed me about $220 total including gaskets, and the resurfacing. Since the gasket its been another 10,000 miles. So $920 so far has gotten me 40,000 miles with no major issues.

It came with the truck when I bought it. The guy I got it from told me that his uncle built this truck for car shows in Florida. The paint is from 1990, so its been a while ago. I'd imagine that the air dam isn't really for a Datsun pickup because it doesn't fit exactly right. I considered removing it.