Working on the control arms tonight. (Back together)

HRH

So I got the new bearings whacked in the other night with a conveniently just the right size thick-ass washer I found to use, and then whacked the stub shaft in with the brass hammer. Lubed her up with red valvoline grease.

lcastart.jpg

Got lucky enough to get new axle nuts from Jaremko, but had a problem with the threads being boogered up. The thread file wasn't cutting it, so I went down to a few places today and ended up adding a new tool to the arsenal. Bixby Machine happened to have a 20x1.5 die in stock. The more expensive adjustable die, but that actually came in handy. Has a set screw to open it up more so you don't have to cut so deep right off the bat.

lcanewdie.jpg

lcanewdie2.jpg

Here is what was giving me a hard time:

lcashaftend.jpg

And seeing as how I had already banged the stub shafts in, I turned them into a lathe and held the other side steady. Worked like a charm! In fact I was so happy I actually ran upstairs with the control arm and showed my renter how the nut went freely down the shaft. :) Yeah, I know, I'm a total dork.

lcalathedie.jpg

Molly came to help about that time.

lcamollyhelping.jpg

Here's what you need to properly tighten the nut: 1 1/16" socket and red loctite, and a torque wrench set to [edit 239 ft-lbs] according to the manual, though my Datsun guru guns them on. I figured with all the red loctite, that shit isn't coming loose for anything.

lcaredloctite.jpg

lcatorque.jpg

And then a chisel to stake the nut. I'm grabbing it the axle by the wheel studs in the vise, yes. Only do this if you're planning on replacing all the wheel studs. It tends to dink them up.

lcastaking.jpg

I'm switching to disc brakes in the rear also, so no, I didn't forget to put the backing plates on. :D

lcadone.jpg

And there you go, back together! Yay! See what us single guys do at night for fun?!

Edited by HRH
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I owe you one, thisismatt! Stupid Haynes manual, I was reading along and got the 58 confused with the axle nut due to their wonderful wording. Now, I have to remember what temp I have to heat the red loctite to to remove. Says use heat to remove, doesn't say what temp, but tomorrow, torch and air, then back together. Good thing I didn't go nuts on staking the nut.

Edited by HRH

Well just like the st. bernards come with a keg under the chin, golden retrievers come with a doobie and some Bob Marley. :D Yes, thoroughly unimpressed. She'd rather I be throwing the ball in the 10 degree weather right now. Brrrrrr!