Ignition Voltage loss at startup-70 510 automatic

Any idea what would cause a drop from 12v to less than 1v while cranking the vehicle. I'm measuring the voltage from the black with white stripe wire that goes to the positive side of coil. the only way I have been able to start the vehicle is to run 12v direct to the coil. I checked my 521 and I get a drop of 1-2v while cranking so something is def wrong with the 510. Any ideas?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try unplugging the ignition switch a few times to clean the contacts.

Power to the ignition switch comes from the positive cable on the starter through a small fusible link. All I have is a diagram so I don't know exactly how it looks. Check for any poor or corroded/loose connections on or near the starter.

Yeah that's a better one. If it was the source voltage that was dropping then the starter solenoid would also drop and the solenoid would just chatter.

Make that bad connection at ignition switch or bad ignition switch.

Looks like it's the switch. I was using a 521 one, and when I went back to the original switch it started. After messing with it a bit though. Guess the 521 and 510 switches aren't compatible. Gives me a reason to go to the junk yard. I think the z cars have the same type.