Newbie looking for answers... (1974 620)

djt0ast

I am brand new to the forum... I have a 1974 Datsun 620 with a 280z 5spd in it. I just bought it a few weeks ago... And of course have had some problems with it... The fan clutch locked up, and the alternator failed as well... The latest problem I'm trying to figure out is a noise when I engage the clutch... I did notice that there is a reservoir near where you put the brake fluid in... Would that be causing the problem if it was below the low line? Also, if that is the problem does it just take Dot 3 fluid as well? Below is a pic of the area I am guessing at, as well as a pic of my truck.

Thanks for reading!!

mydatsunarrow.jpg

my1974.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds hard, you should quit.

:fu: seriously, it shouldn't be making noise from low fluid, the pedal would be a lot easier to push, and the clutch won't work at all if it's low on fluid. Yes, it takes DOT 3.

if it's squealing, it's your throwout bearing and you need to pull the tranny to replace it

Yeah it is a squealing noise.... It seems like when I'm idling at a stop or something and have the clutch engaged, and in 1st or 2nd gear is when I heard it mostly.... Is it bad to drive it like this for awhile? I just don't have any time until next week to fix it... This truck is also my daily driver. Thanks again!

That is one nice truck you got there. Give it to me and I will make that noise go away! :lol:

Is it really that nice? Look below... ;) Lot's of fun stuff.. A huge dent on the passenger side panel... A bad grill... The hood won't latch, so I have to hold it on with bungee cords.. Haha! ... I just found a guy today that has a grill.... so I might get the fixed... We'll see...

IMG00074-20090307-1349.jpg

IMG00076-20090307-1349.jpg

IMG00079-20090307-1351.jpg

If it's quiet in neutral with clutch up but makes noise when it's down the release bearing is dry. Only cure is to replace it. This involves removing the drive shaft and tranny cross mount, loosen tranny and slide back then down and out of the way.

If it has a low swishing or growling noise at idle with the clutch out and it gets quieter when you push the clutch down, the input or counter shaft bearing could be worn. I would check and top up the tranny with GL-4 90 weight oil.... might quiet it down.

Now you have to inspect the clutch and make a decision... do you need to replace it now or maybe do this again later?

Edited by datzenmike

$10 dude but i gotta get it out of my storage unit.. not sure of the mounting post condition but it the fixture itself is better then the one on my truck, im just lazy an didnt wanna switch it, i got this from another ratsun member so i dont know if it works or not but im sure it does since its in better condition then the one on my truck..

I'm wondering where the ground wire is located on my truck? I'm thinking that a loose ground could be why my truck has weak power when at an idle... You know how the lights get dimmer? and the heater barely will work? Haha! Or am I way off? What would you guys suggest?

• 2 weeks later...

OK for my next question.... I'm curious how hard it would be to put some 280z seats in my truck? I saw some pretty cool ones at the junkyard. Do I need to pull the seats, and all the mounting hardware? Or do I just have some dude weld them to the frame? As much detail in the answers would be much appreciated! Thanks!