No ignition power (on or acc) opinions?

72240z

So ya 89 d21, today I hop in to go get some fabric for my dash project and nothing, no power, no clicks, no nothing. The radio won't even come on or any dash lights but I do have fog lights, head lights, interior lights...Any ideas?

I got power to the starter. I got power coming out of the ignition in "ON".

In the manual/online they say one of the common problems is the clutch interlock relay so I check. Its a 2 plug 4 wire relay. Manual says check power to both blk/y in "ON", check. If powered check ignition blk/y, check. If power there go back to the relay and ground the small green wire then ignition "ON" should hear a click and get power to the 3rd wire a pnk/blk, fail. It also says I should be getting power to the green wire itself which is again a fail. So from the check list it looks like the clutch interlock relay is shot but would that really cause no power in anything like I am seeing? My strong points are mechanical and computer not electrical so maybe I'm just self doubting.

Can I jump the relay to check? From the check procedure it seems the 2 blk/y are constant connect and then bridged to the blk/pnk when the green is grounded. So if I jump the 2 blk/y and the blk/pnk together and ground the green(maybe don't even have to) it should be bypassed right?

I can't find this relay at any local junk yards, I checked the 2nd half of the day. So before I call nissan and get raped or take a bum ride an hour to find it at another junk yard I'd like to be sure or at least very confident it is the culprit.

Opinions? ideas? Anything would be much appreciated.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked on a Toyota truck where I just shorted the switch out at the clutch pedal. But it was just a basic 2 wire switch.

Could you remove the relays and replug them in?Maybe just a corrosion issue.

Or you could remove the relays and put 12volts on there yourself (if you knwo the pin layout)and see if the main contacks short out with a ohm meter. then youll know for sure the relay is bad if your scared to use jumper wires on the car itself.

I worked on a Toyota truck where I just shorted the switch out at the clutch pedal. But it was just a basic 2 wire switch.

Could you remove the relays and replug them in?Maybe just a corrosion issue.

Or you could remove the relays and put 12volts on there yourself (if you knwo the pin layout)and see if the main contacks short out with a ohm meter. then youll know for sure the relay is bad if your scared to use jumper wires on the car itself.

Ya mine is a basic 2 wire switch too, that I jumped the day I got the truck lol.

The contacts and really all contacts on the truck I have previously cleaned and applied dielectric grease because I was having intermittent issues in other areas. I did take it out and pop it back in though. No change.

I would jump it, I'm just not confident enough to do so. While at the junkyard there was a later pathy with the later style relay. Same diagram but instead of duel nissan style plugs it uses a single relay style plug. I have a spare relay plug around I may splice and use it as a test. I ran out of light today.

The diagram is....

clutchinterlockrelay.jpg

All said and done though would that relay gone bad really cut all power like that?

Edited by 72240z

All said and done though would that relay gone bad really cut all power like that?

No. The clutch interlock or clutch relay is to protect stupid people from themselves. It should only prevent the starter from working if the clutch is not to the floor.

You say no radio with key in the on position? what about accessory position? Will the wipers work? In either position???

Okay I just ran out in my pj's to check. I'm going to now guess something drained my bat over night. Earlier I had NOTHING, now the dash bat and seat belt light came on very dim then died and I got a relay click. The wipers tried to move, like an inch then died. Head lights go on very dim and fogs not at all. That's all only the very 1st time I tried, 2nd time I got nothing again.

Idk what could have drained the bat that much in the course of me coming home at 3am and then trying to start it at 11am but that it what its seeming like to me at this point.

I'm going to feel retarded if it really was just a REALLY dead bat.

Engine swaps and all kinds of crazy shit no prob. This truck? Have me looking like an idiot.....

Anymore advice or opinions on the situation? Sound like the bat to everyone else?

Okay I just ran out in my pj's to check. I'm going to now guess something drained my bat over night. Earlier I had NOTHING, now the dash bat and seat belt light came on very dim then died and I got a relay click. The wipers tried to move, like an inch then died. Head lights go on very dim and fogs not at all.

Idk what could have drained the bat that much in the course of me coming home at 3am and then trying to start it at 11am but that is what its seeming like to me at this point.

I'm going to feel retarded if it is just a REALLY dead bat.

Engine swaps and all kinds of crazy shit no prob. This truck? Have me looking like an idiot.....

Anymore advice or opinions on the situation? Sound like the bat to everyone else?

Recharge the battery and call me in the morning.:D

If ever you have an electrical prob and suspect the battery, turn the headlights on. If good and bright you have battery. this will always work independent of the key same as the dome light.

Ya That's the 1st thing I did today but in the sun it's hard. I saw them on and the fogs came on and the dome so I said okay I got power at least. Now though at night I can see how dim they really are and its gotten to the point the fogs won't even come on.

Tom I'll throw a spare bat in I have and give it a try. Hope that does it. I just got done rebuilding the clutch master and slave after coming out to a puddle. So sick and tired of the attention this truck demands.