Question about offset

SRSANDS

OK I have a questions about offset. I am using the zx front struts in my dime so what offset choices will work? The rear of course is stock so zero offset is ideally needed. I would like to get some deep dish wheels eventually so it seems I would need a negative offset wheel. What in your guys experience will work? Whats the highest offset and lowest neg offset that has been used? Using the front zx strut changes my offset option up front so can I use a front and rear offset combo? Its hard to order or purchase rims just to try em on and they dont fit so I figured Id ask. I know positive offset 4x114.4 are very common and for sale everywhere.......let me know thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 15x7 zero offset with 205-50-15's all around. When I first put them on my suspension setup was 280zx struts with camber plates up front and an unmodified x-member in the rear. The wheels kinda fit. The front fenders were rolled and the rear ones were rolled and the inner fender well persuaded with a hammer. Even with this I still had a bit of a rubbing issue in the front. However, my car was really low as well (tucking tire). If it was a little higher, and you used some 195's, they would have fit pretty easily.

I have 15x7 zero offset with 205-50-15's all around. When I first put them on my suspension setup was 280zx struts with camber plates up front and an unmodified x-member in the rear. The wheels kinda fit. The front fenders were rolled and the rear ones were rolled and the inner fender well persuaded with a hammer. Even with this I still had a bit of a rubbing issue in the front. However, my car was really low as well (tucking tire). If it was a little higher, and you used some 195's, they would have fit pretty easily.

with a 15x7 +0(3) on the rear and rolled fenders, any thoughts what the widest tire I could run are? At least with absense of any wheelgap if not dumped (on a wagon so no camber issues in the rear)

with a 15x7 +0(3) on the rear and rolled fenders, any thoughts what the widest tire I could run are? At least with absense of any wheelgap if not dumped (on a wagon so no camber issues in the rear)

Goon's are a bit tough. With my car the camber gain with the IRS helps with clearance. With a solid rear axel, you don't get that. I would say that 195's would be the most you could run without having rubbing issues. I'm no expert though, as I have never messed around with a goon. You would need to roll the fenders for sure though. I know that there are a few people out there running 16x8 zero offset on wagons, but I can't attest to how well they fit.

• 4 weeks later...

ok heres a little math to help out... 3/8" is equal to approx 9.5mm (we'll call it 10mm)... my +15mm wheels minus the 10mm spacer makes a +5mm wheel (15x7) and BARELY fits the 280zx strut... (giving you the option to run from a 0et to a +5, spacers included) I'd rather have an extra 5mm clearance, and +0 15x7 wheels are easy enough to find, so if you want 15x7s get a 0et wheel. 6.5" wide wheels open this up a little more... you only gain approx 6mm more clearance, but every bit helps, what this means is that on a 280zx strut, you can go anywhere from -6mm to a +11mm (this is theory, in reality different wheels fit slightly different and not all manufacturers measure their wheels correctly...). The 6.5" wheel gives you better options in my opinion, more strut clearance means you can go lower... and shawn I know you feel me here :D I'd say if you can somehow find a 6.5" wheel in 0 offset you'd be PERFECT on the ZX strut...

Happy datsuning...